Stud

Machine state save

Hi there,

I have found that the game I added in the drivers does not support the state save (after on successful start, it won't start again until I remove the content of the nvram folder).

I tried to remove the MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE flag but the problem remains.
If I change the folder access right to prevent MAME from writing it does work, but it's a bit hackish... Any idea how I can fix this?

Sorry if this post is a duplicate, but I tried to search in the forum and all the words I used were "too common"...
Tafoid

Re: Machine state save

Stud wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:51 pm Hi there,

I have found that the game I added in the drivers does not support the state save (after on successful start, it won't start again until I remove the content of the nvram folder).

I tried to remove the MACHINE_SUPPORTS_SAVE flag but the problem remains.
If I change the folder access right to prevent MAME from writing it does work, but it's a bit hackish... Any idea how I can fix this?

Sorry if this post is a duplicate, but I tried to search in the forum and all the words I used were "too common"...
What game in particular are you attempting? Save States should largely work on most games, but are not given a clean bill of health until they flag gets added. NVRAM shouldn't be interfering (the STA folder is what needs to be cleared if you are autosaving a game).

If you can give us a specific example, it would help a great deal in being able to duplicate your issue and offer a possible fix.
Stud

Re: Machine state save

Tafoid wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:54 pm
What game in particular are you attempting? Save States should largely work on most games, but are not given a clean bill of health until they flag gets added. NVRAM shouldn't be interfering (the STA folder is what needs to be cleared if you are autosaving a game).

If you can give us a specific example, it would help a great deal in being able to duplicate your issue and offer a possible fix.
Sorry for the delay, I tried some more things to make this work in the mean time.

I am trying to run a game I made for Neogeo myself, no surprise the save states doesn't work.
NVRAM shouldn't be interfering (the STA folder is what needs to be cleared if you are autosaving a game).
Maybe the save states isn't the problem then? What is sure is that removing the nvram folder solves the issue.
What is the STA folder? I don't see any folder with this name.

Anyway, I :

- checked that all .ini files used by MAME have "autosave" set to 0 in "CORE STATE/PLAYBACK OPTIONS".
In particular, [mydriver].ini file has "autosave" set to 0, which should override everything according to http://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/multiconfig.html

- launched MAME.exe, went to "configure options" -> "Advanded options" and checked that autosave was set to OFF

- then launched MAME through command line with the option "-noautosave"

Yet, when the game is halted, it creates a savestate in nvram/[mydriver], and MAME tries and loads it when the game is restarted.

Return to “MAME Discussion”