kimwu

<game>.cfg : Input "port" tag info

Hi MameDev =)

Quick question, I'm trying to figure out where I could find documentation about the INPUT port "tag" attribute in a <game>.cfg
I've been searching actively on the wiki and in the sources but still no luck finding anything about it.

Code: Select all

<port    >>   tag=":P1/DSW"   <<    type="P1_JOYSTICK_UP" mask="256" defvalue="256">
    <newseq type="standard">
        JOYCODE_2_YAXIS_UP_SWITCH
    </newseq>
 </port>
There are different values I saw : {: P1/DSW, : P2, : IN0, : IN1, etc...}

I'd like to find :
- what are the different possible values ?
- what do they represent (how/when are those tags used) ?
- why is there a /DSW sometimes ? sometimes not..

Any help would be appreciated. Basically this is for building simple <game>.cfg files according to my many joysticks but in an automated script way right before I launch the game by Cmd line. I'm building a custom little frontend for myself in vb.net

Thanks a lot !
KimWu
howl

Re: <game>.cfg : Input "port" tag info

Every machine has it's input path defined in code, so there is no universal porttag name for all the machines. I think the names are to match the original name of the buses and connector that could be seen in the boards.
ImageImageImageImageImage
kimwu

Thanks howl

So basically I shouldn't care too much about the tag.

I made a test where I removed the "tag=..." xml attribute, and the game launched just fine with correct input settings.
Like usually, mame save the .cfg file upon exit.. and it re-wrote the xml (adding the missing tag information).

I also noticed, in the defaut.cfg, there is no tag for input port ;) So I should be just fine even if I do not add this attribute in my custom <games>.cfg files on runtime.

Thanks really much :)
howl

And I have to thank you too kimwu.

Your post give me where to find the values for inputtag and inputmask values for the lay files. I give a look to the source of the machines but some have fixed inputs and anothers like for example neogeo simulates in code the connections of the joys and so on, so I couldn't find the inputtag value for some buttons.

With your post I could solve it :)
ImageImageImageImageImage
kimwu

That's actually pretty cool. Because when I saw the thread you posted (almost at the same time than mine), I though "humm I can't really help him I'm really not into layout modification"

:D

Return to “MAME Discussion”