cainchild

Getting started

Hello Everyone,
I don't know how to accurately define the problem I want to solve from a coding perspective, and for that I do apologize.

You guys seemed like you might be most knowledgeable about this particular topic though, and as such the best place to poke around. This is not a request, though I will state how nice it would be to have.

I'm learning to program. It seems to help to have a project. I created the software we now use for the business I work at, so I'm not totally inept. :D
For my next noob project...
I want to emulate is super specific machine (IA x86 arch) with a very specific, fixed set of specs , video etc. A specific machine with a target software in mind, not a general soup sandwich of "look, it emulates nearly everything in a more or less functioning state." like VMware. I mean an Athlon 900 with set HDD, 100% accurate ram and graphics emualtion etc. etc.. NOT a general PC emulator with the quirks and bugs that entails.

Unfortunately I do know what I am asking,(i think), and am willing to work toward making it.

See, Dosbox is a general sort of emu thing going on, whereas you all appear to do SPECIFIC machines. It's the specific machine I want to learn how to emulate.
I find tons of sites about how to write an 8080, or NEs or whatever, but never anything about how to find opcodes for machines, what opcodes are, display devices etc.
I have zero clue where to start on this...
Arbee

Re: Getting started

What language did you use for the business software? I can attempt to feel out explaining your questions from there better I think :)

There's plenty you can do without even starting coding though when it comes to emulating a specific PC. You'll want to try and find the manuals for at least the chipset (north and south bridges), and try to get copies of both the motherboard and video BIOSes, as well as any other ROMs that are on the expansion cards.

This is a struggle for MAMEdev with a lot of PC-based games; someone hands us a harddisk image and maybe install CDs but not the real BIOSes or anything that makes that specific machine a specific machine. Therefore Megatouch XL is currently running on a generic "at486", although since then I've obtained the necessary BIOS and I'm trying to emulate the SiS chipset it used.
cainchild

Re: Getting started

Arbee wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:52 pm What language did you use for the business software? I can attempt to feel out explaining your questions from there better I think :)

There's plenty you can do without even starting coding though when it comes to emulating a specific PC. You'll want to try and find the manuals for at least the chipset (north and south bridges), and try to get copies of both the motherboard and video BIOSes, as well as any other ROMs that are on the expansion cards.

This is a struggle for MAMEdev with a lot of PC-based games; someone hands us a harddisk image and maybe install CDs but not the real BIOSes or anything that makes that specific machine a specific machine. Therefore Megatouch XL is currently running on a generic "at486", although since then I've obtained the necessary BIOS and I'm trying to emulate the SiS chipset it used.
I am so sorry for my delay in responding. 2 jobs, wrecked car etc...

During my years in psychology QB and Vb were all I used. I have since then picked up JAVA and c# Quite a bit. I am learning Python and have some limited experience in c++. Honestly I think c++ and Java are what I will ultimately be developing in as time goes by, but c# is proving stupid useful most times. I am at that intermediate stage of coding and really have to advance upward or get off the toilet. I am starting to think 99% of coding is organization and gathering information...

So...c#?

So, as for the bios information I ask:

Like this? It didn't occur to me that hardware information would be in the bios file, because I am special. Potato Special. :oops:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Produc ... 24&LanID=0

and this, which seems...done?

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/119 ... 128-051103

EDIT: This one looks like it actually has better odds than the TNT2 Riva, whose whole bios I cannot find at all

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/483 ... dai-010213

I will hunt on cards and try to garner more specific information. I can't seem to find a true dx 6/7 caps 32 meg series bios. I am writing NVIDIA again for that.

Dude(or ette), you rock. Thanks

Return to “MAME Discussion”