mhoes

Re: High scores not saving

vexorg wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:02 amWhile you seem to not know, you also seem to keep replying.
While you seem to simply not read the responses you get (not even if it may assist in troubleshooting the issue or gets you a partly solution), you also seem to simply keep asking the same first question over and over. And while reading back my own posts, I seem to at least know that not all games support highscore saving, and seem to have offered a partly solution of enabling 'automatic save states'.
vexorg wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:02 amIt was a simple question of why does it not do it now when it did before
Without offering any details of what MAME version you were using before, or what MAME variant (official release or otherwise), or with which games/machines you were having the issue with. Or at least not until you were asked twice. Details like that matter.
vexorg wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:02 am(regardless of how mame is packaged).
What MAME variant is used, be it the official release or otherwise, is important. Some MAME variants are heavily modified from the official release (or are based on very old official MAME releases), resulting in the fact that a bug may occur in said variant but not in the (latest) official MAME release.
vexorg wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:02 amthe forum is inundated with knowledgeable people...
True. But they weren't responding, so I decided to try and help you out.
mhoes

Tafoid wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:37 am Not sure what your issues with high scores would be.
Things to check:

- Previous versions of MAME used a hiscore.dat file which is incompatible with current MAME. Each release of MAME now contains a proper hiscore.dat file meaning your old on will not work.

- As far as MAMEUI, I'm unsure how to activate hiscores. Using MAMEDEV.org's official binaries, this is easy. Simply double-click the binary and selcct the option near the menu at the bottom that says "Plugins". You are then given a selection of possible plugins to use (or that have been installed). You can change "High Scores" to "ON" and exit out of MAME. This should save the fact that you want to use hiscore.dat for high score saving.

- If things are still not saving, they may not be coded in the hiscore.dat to save, or it may be a function of the nvram (battery backup) of the original machine.

You also mention that your old version saved your state when possible. This is still possible using "autosave" functionality, but it can be incompatible from version to version. You can reach this menu from "Configure Machine", "Advanced Options" and choosing "On" for Automatic save/restore. Of course, if you are using MAMEUI, there may be other menus for it. Everything I've outlined requires the official binaires and MAMEUI isn't directly supported here.
I did a quick check of the latest version of MAMEUI64, and it appears there is no equivalent in the UI for the 'Plugins' section of the official MAME version. However, it looks like automatic save states is supported (but I haven't actually tested it), by selecting the following through the MAMEUI menu : 'Options -> Default System Options -> Miscellaneous -> Save system state on exit'.
thegatekeeper

Not sure if you tried this already, but check the "nvram" folder in your Mame root. Assuming the game saves to nvram, it will create a folder here. For some reason it created two folders for the same game for me, and once I deleted them it started saving correctly.

Hope this helps.

Return to “MAME Discussion”