Jhenderson

Raiden II/DX New (r2dx_v33) Not Starting

This is a weird one but I haven't seen anybody ask about this elsewhere. For whatever reason, both versions of this romset greet me with a solid black screen that does absolutely nothing. Is there a key combination I'm failing to press here ala holding down the service button to start Super Buster Bros. or this just broken? Its still marked as working so I don't know what to do here.
Tafoid

Re: Raiden II/DX New (r2dx_v33) Not Starting

Jhenderson wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:03 am This is a weird one but I haven't seen anybody ask about this elsewhere. For whatever reason, both versions of this romset greet me with a solid black screen that does absolutely nothing. Is there a key combination I'm failing to press here ala holding down the service button to start Super Buster Bros. or this just broken? Its still marked as working so I don't know what to do here.
Testing current GIT and 0.194 (released last Wednesday) from mamedev.org boots and works as expected, as well as the clone set r2dx_v33_r2
Are you using Non-Windows? What version of MAME are you using? AFAIK there is no startup procedure needed for this machine.
Jhenderson

Tafoid wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:32 am
Jhenderson wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:03 am This is a weird one but I haven't seen anybody ask about this elsewhere. For whatever reason, both versions of this romset greet me with a solid black screen that does absolutely nothing. Is there a key combination I'm failing to press here ala holding down the service button to start Super Buster Bros. or this just broken? Its still marked as working so I don't know what to do here.

Testing current GIT and 0.194 (released last Wednesday) from mamedev.org boots and works as expected, as well as the clone set r2dx_v33_r2
Are you using Non-Windows? What version of MAME are you using? AFAIK there is no startup procedure needed for this machine.
Running .194 on Windows 7 with Emuloader frontend. All the regular sets of these two games have not given me any problems. It's just the NEW version ones.
Jhenderson

Here's a video I made of what I'm talking about here.

https://youtu.be/w_nWW_Mu6qU

As you can see the game is completely locked up on this black screen but I can still access Mame's UI.
Tafoid

Jhenderson wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 pm Here's a video I made of what I'm talking about here.

https://youtu.be/w_nWW_Mu6qU

As you can see the game is completely locked up on this black screen but I can still access Mame's UI.
We'd need to see some debug information .. launch MAME using the "-verbose" command-line trigger via a command window.
E.G. MAME r2dx_v33 -verbose
When you launch, you'll see information in the box about what is being selected/done/setup/initialized and it might give a clue as to your issue.
Jhenderson

It doesn't look like there's anything particularly wrong with these when compared to the regular Raiden II romset. *shrugs*
Tafoid

I would attempt putting the binary in a fresh folder without any further configuration (using default), no front-end and no artwork or anything else external and trying again with a fully default setup. Alternatively, attempt launching using -video opengl, -video bgfx, or -video gdi and see if any of those show anything? The only error I see in your output is someone put "Auto" instead of "auto" for the aspect setting in your mame.ini
Jhenderson

Bingo! Creating a fresh install of Mame using a different folder actually worked. Thanks for the help.
Tafoid

Jhenderson wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:56 am Bingo! Creating a fresh install of Mame using a different folder actually worked. Thanks for the help.
I had to figure there is some configuration issue with in the front-end.. or you have a game/driver specific .ini/.cfg that wasn't playing nice.
Good to hear you issue was resolved.

Return to “MAME Discussion”