Graham

[0.189] Atari 2600 Questions

Hi All

When selecting "Atari 2600 (NTSC)" from Mame's GUI, is it possible to set the default filter to "Available" rather than having to manually select each time? (btw, this pane is hidden) Also, is it possible to show snapshots (cartridge scans) in the right hand pane like you can with Mame roms? One last question, is there a PAL version (being from UK) for the Atari 2600? Btw, this is on Ubuntu 16.04, with 0.189 being the latest version.

:)
https://www.thevenusproject.com | Beyond Politics Poverty and War
Tafoid

Re: [0.189] Atari 2600 Questions

Graham wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:57 pm Hi All

When selecting "Atari 2600 (NTSC)" from Mame's GUI, is it possible to set the default filter to "Available" rather than having to manually select each time? (btw, this pane is hidden) Also, is it possible to show snapshots (cartridge scans) in the right hand pane like you can with Mame roms? One last question, is there a PAL version (being from UK) for the Atari 2600? Btw, this is on Ubuntu 16.04, with 0.189 being the latest version.

The software list presented is simply a listing of what is in the softlist.xml for that machine chosen. It doesn't audit for 'Available' and will only check at runtime (when selected). I am uncertain if softwarelist level selections have snapshot viewing capacity as AFAIK, it is only the base machine selected in which this is allowed. The PAL version of Atari 2600 has a machine shortname of "a2600p". You can get this to show in your available list by making sure you have CONFIGURE OPTIONS -> MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONS -> "Hide romless machine from available list" set to OFF. Selecting ON will not show a great many consoles, especially, which have no bios required. If you upgrade your Ubuntu version, this usually means more recent versions of MAME are available to you.
Graham

Re: [0.189] Atari 2600 Questions

Hi Tafoid

As a workaround then, I think I may need to take a copy of each <console>.xml and then delete all the games I don't own to make them appear by default. Shame about snapshots though :(. I'll stick with the NTSC version as toggling this option off does display a lot of systems/games that are not required. I tend to stick with LTS releases in Ubuntu so I don't need to upgrade every 9 months. Hopefully 18.04 (being similar to 17.10), will allow the latest version of Mame to be run.

One last question, when selecting "Game Boy" from the main list, the top option [Start Empty] allows me to use a button configuration (assigned to tab) from my joypad to navigate to "File Manager" to manually browse for games (as mentioned in another post). Can this feature be added to other consoles or is this hard coded into Mame? This would save having to edit xml files.

As always, thanks for your help and advice.

https://www.thevenusproject.com | Beyond Politics Poverty and War

Return to “MAME Discussion”