mhavoc

ROM Filename Case in driver

I couldn't find a answer to this doing a search... should I distribute ROM's in Lower Case, Upper Case or doesn't it matter? the ROM extensions are going to be the PCB location and they are much easier to read in Upper case.... .1L vs .1l for example. I didn't know if this was breaking some convention in the driver requirements tho.

thanks.. Jess
f205v

Re: ROM Filename Case in driver

The worlds "distribute" and "ROMs" do not go well together, because copyright, you know.
------
Ciao
f205v
Tafoid

mhavoc wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:04 am I couldn't find a answer to this doing a search... should I distribute ROM's in Lower Case, Upper Case or doesn't it matter? the ROM extensions are going to be the PCB location and they are much easier to read in Upper case.... .1L vs .1l for example. I didn't know if this was breaking some convention in the driver requirements tho.

thanks.. Jess

In the case of MAME in almost all instances, lowercase *IS* uppercase.
I can understand L vs l or I vs i from looking at them, but in those boards are there both "L" and an "I" locations? I don't think this exists so there should be no confusion. In fact, you'll rarely find lowercase letters in any label you see on a PCB outside of perhaps a company, game name, or another non-critical part of a label. There are no labels that I am aware of that require Uppercase Vs. Lowercase to determine versioning or revision. The lowercase that MAME insists for documentation of machines is a uniformity for both the eyes when dealing with them as well as sensitivity towards any operating system where difference in case does matter (most non-Windows) in identity and renaming, ensuring ease of use for developers and end users.
Robert

--
Last edited by Robert on Fri May 03, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhavoc

Cool, thanks for the info on the inner-workings of MAME appreciate it.. I will go with lowercase for now.

You are correct.. I don't have a .1L and a 1I location (luckily).

Return to “MAME Discussion”