DOS76

Removed ROMs

Why when the new version of MAME is released and they list all the things they've added and changes to the source why aren't removed roms listed? I noticed today for example that Sunset Riders and Mystic Warriors both had their 2 player versions removed ssriders2p and mystic2p leaving us with only the option of the 4 player version. I find it curious that something like this would be removed as those ROMs are better for a 2 player cab setup than using the 4 player roms that lock you into a specific character. I was just curious why the roms that get removed without an explanation like we get for the stuff that is getting added.
kirishima

Re: Removed ROMs

You sure they weren't just renamed? I mean there appears to be several revisions of the 2 player version of Sunset Riders.

Mystic Warriors, on the other hand, has a dipswitch setting that allows you to select between 2 or 4 players.
Tafoid

Re: Removed ROMs

DOS76 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:31 am Why when the new version of MAME is released and they list all the things they've added and changes to the source why aren't removed roms listed? I noticed today for example that Sunset Riders and Mystic Warriors both had their 2 player versions removed ssriders2p and mystic2p leaving us with only the option of the 4 player version. I find it curious that something like this would be removed as those ROMs are better for a 2 player cab setup than using the 4 player roms that lock you into a specific character. I was just curious why the roms that get removed without an explanation like we get for the stuff that is getting added.

In what mame did these setnames exists (ssrider2p, mystic2p)?
As far as I can tell, your examples never existed.
"ssriders2p" The ssriders was the parent from the beginning when added in 0.36b3 and clones were named "ssrdrXXX" where "XXX" was the version lettering. Also, 9 character setnames didn't exists before 0.133u1 and it doesn't show up there at all.
"mystic2p" from my research never existed. When the game was added in MAME 0.67, it had a parent of "mystwarr" which stands to this day with no clones using "mystic", but "mystwarX" - X denoting region.

Romset shortnames that end up being dropped or appear 'missing' were likely reassigned another shortname with very few exceptions. Any exceptions would come from machines once added that were determined to have no changed function and simple copyright/title clearing - having no value to preserve unless it was a widespread hack. There is also the rare time where an IP Holder asks MAMEDEV to drop support for a title or string of titles but that has been an extremely rare occurrence.

Return to “MAME Discussion”