ORaY Beast

Mame 3d Lag

Hi there, I'm sorry for posting another topic because I have been here before but I forgot my login so I had to make a new account. I'm having trouble with running an old racing game on mame. It is really slow and I have used frame skip and have tried turning down the sample rate but It isn't working and it is strange because my computer can run games like call of duty and counter strike with no problem all help is apreciated. Heres a video I made if you want to see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PueLhaZ2y18. Thanks for reading!
mhoes

Re: Mame 3d Lag

Not sure if this helps, but: Generally speaking, 'emulation' will be slower than 'native'. Which means that games played in an emulator, even if they are 'old(-er)', will generally run slower than a recently bought game specifically designed for your platform/system. I tried the game you mention, 'Speed Up' (1996, Gaelco) on my system, and did not perceive any lag:

CPU: Intel i7-4771 @ 3.50Ghz (Haswell)
Ram: 32GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

For what it's worth: these are the results I get when running (you might compare them to yours) :

mame64.exe speedup -nothrottle -str 60 -video d3d
c31boot.bin ROM NEEDS REDUMP
WARNING: the machine might not run correctly.
Average speed: 251.83% (59 seconds)

Final note: The game is known to not run correctly, because of imperfect emulation / needed rom dumps.
ORaY Beast

Thanks so much for the help but Im really not good with computer stuff so sorry if I dont understand things :) I put the c31boot.bin in the roms folder should I put it somewhere else. My computer says cpu n2840 2.16 ghz and ram 8:00 gb Im not sure what it means but it might help you. Also I turned throttle off and changed video to d3d and I dont know what str is but it didnt help that much but now it runs fullspeed at the circuit select menu xD
Thanks!
mhoes

You should put the roms in the roms directory.

I think the 'N2840' is an 'intel celeron' cpu, running at 2.16 GHz. It looks like this is not a very powerful processor, and if that is true you may not get very good performance from mame at all because of it. There's not much you can do about that besides buying a new and more powerful PC.

The command 'mame64.exe speedup -nothrottle -str 60 -video d3d' should be run exactly like that from a command prompt. It is a kind of benchmark, and in the line that begins with 'Average speed' it will tell you how fast mame can run the game, so you can then compare your results to mine, to get an indication of the relative speed. Also, you can try the command with '-video opengl' and '-video d3d' to see if the one or the other runs faster on your system.

Also, I'm not sure if you are supposed to turn throttle off when running mame normally, because as I understand it, this will make mame run the game as fast as the PC allows, and not at the speed the original hardware did (when that is slower than your PC). You may not notice this if your PC cannot run a game at original hardware speeds (like in your case 'Speed Up', for example), but you will probably notice it when running simpler/older games like 'pacman', for example.
ORaY Beast

Update: I know that I probably wont be able to get it to run properly on my computer, but if you watch the video you can hear that the sound isn't great either, I just assumed that its because It ran slower but I played it on another computer and I ran full speed but the sound was still the same so could you tell me how to sort that out please if you can, thank you for all the help!
mhoes

I listened to the game on my PC, and to me personally the sound is not that bad ? But the game is known to not run correctly, because of imperfect emulation (although imperfect graphics is mentioned, and not imperfect sound) and needed rom dumps. There is nothing you can do about that, apart from hoping this will improve in the future. It involves someone obtaining the original hardware and then having the needed roms dumped, and developers spending time to improve the emulation. 'Asking/begging/demanding' for this to happen will not get you anywhere, and will only annoy people and perhaps even make it less likely that someone will actually spend time on this.

The only other thing I can think of (but that's a really wild guess), is that the sound wasn't that good on the original hardware to begin with, and so it would obviously end up as not being so great on the emulator. The only way to know for sure is to obtain the original hardware, and then do a comparison between the two.
ORaY Beast

I dont think I will get the original stuff but thanks for all the help anyway!
mhoes

I didn't expect you to get the original hardware: I just meant that doing a comparison with that - for the sound - is probably the only way to be sure. Most of the video's on YouTube for example, are of the game running in an emulator (probably MAME), so that is not really all that helpful.

Having said that, I did find this (unfortunately) low-resolution video that at least appears to be of the original cabinet. It's hard to hear the sound exactly because of the low quality of the video, but it appears to sound the same way as it does when running it on MAME on my PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZtsRqCqMno

Return to “MAME Discussion”