Augusto

Autofire and charge buttons

Firstly thanks for the dev that had added autofire in MAME.
Autofire is one good feature.
Have games autofire is good and others games autofire need to be disabled and enabled for some buttons.
Games with charge buttons is good to use autofire and another button with autofire disabled.
Dragoninja have two buttons. attack and jump. Charging attack button will make an powerful attack.
Outzone two buttons. Fire and bomb. Have one weapon need to use charge button.
Knights of the Round use attack and jump. Charging attack will make guard.
and mainly shooters games.
Using the button to enable and disable autofire make the gameplay difficult because press disable > use button > press enable > use button > this sequence again.

My post is for one request to create two buttons for each arcade button and save autofire settings in cfg file avoiding all time to enable when starting one game. This is a feature well used in console emulators.
Example
Knigths of the Round has two buttons. MAME user can use in gamepad controller.
Button 1 Attack > Gamepad button 1 with autofire enabled
Gamepad button 2 with autofire disabled
Button 2 jump > Gamepad button 3 with autofire enabled
Now MAME has the good BGFX and one good UI added and with the feature above is good for mame users. I not see other feature to add in MAME than the feature above. Seeing others console emulators MAME have all and the config menu is easy to use giving good options to user.
Thanks for read my post and have an good night.
Tafoid

Re: Autofire and charge buttons

Augusto wrote:Firstly thanks for the dev that had added autofire in MAME.
Autofire is one good feature.
Have games autofire is good and others games autofire need to be disabled and enabled for some buttons.
Games with charge buttons is good to use autofire and another button with autofire disabled.
Dragoninja have two buttons. attack and jump. Charging attack button will make an powerful attack.
Outzone two buttons. Fire and bomb. Have one weapon need to use charge button.
Knights of the Round use attack and jump. Charging attack will make guard.
and mainly shooters games.
Using the button to enable and disable autofire make the gameplay difficult because press disable > use button > press enable > use button > this sequence again.

My post is for one request to create two buttons for each arcade button and save autofire settings in cfg file avoiding all time to enable when starting one game. This is a feature well used in console emulators.
Example
Knigths of the Round has two buttons. MAME user can use in gamepad controller.
Button 1 Attack > Gamepad button 1 with autofire enabled
Gamepad button 2 with autofire disabled
Button 2 jump > Gamepad button 3 with autofire enabled
Now MAME has the good BGFX and one good UI added and with the feature above is good for mame users. I not see other feature to add in MAME than the feature above. Seeing others console emulators MAME have all and the config menu is easy to use giving good options to user.
Thanks for read my post and have an good night.
The Autofire portion was taken (with some modifications) from the most used and popular implementation (MAMEUIFX) so little was done to modify it. Currently, the view of it is much like overclocking in that changes in conditions are not saved. You can read more about it here:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/pull/618
Augusto

Re: Autofire and charge buttons

``Currently, the view of it is much like overclocking in that changes in conditions are not saved``
Overclocking and autofire not are the same feature.
Overclocking was added in OSD for devs. Users use to change speed. Not is correct save overclocking settings thus avoid problems in Mametesters.
Autofire not is same detail. Use of autofire not will create problems for devs or mametesters.
For some games all time I need to go in autofire menu and enable.
I not see problems in save the setting in cfg.
I had used MAME Plus just because of autofire and custom buttons. MAMEUIFX had both features, but after of autofire was added in MAME not more was used other program code for autofire or custom button. Autofire save was lost.
Autofire being saved in cfg and the feature to use two buttons with autofire enabled and other disabled is the ultimate of features in MAME.
Thanks for reply and the link.
Have one good night.

Return to “MAME Discussion”