Pizzadude

Mame .177 and sound samples

I've been out of Mame for many years, since pre .100 romset.. So many things have changed.. I have 57gb .177 romset ( I believe that's unmerged or split.. Not sure how to tell ) and .177 (414gb) CHD's. I also have a samples folder from .162 as well as artwork from .162.. I've hunted high and low but can't find samples for .177.. So with that i have 2 questions..

Are the samples i have from .162 useable in .177 and if so is it as simple as putting them in the samples folder of .177?

Are sound samples even used anymore ?

Thanks
Tafoid

Re: Mame .177 and sound samples

Pizzadude wrote:I've been out of Mame for many years, since pre .100 romset.. So many things have changed.. I have 57gb .177 romset ( I believe that's unmerged or split.. Not sure how to tell ) and .177 (414gb) CHD's. I also have a samples folder from .162 as well as artwork from .162.. I've hunted high and low but can't find samples for .177.. So with that i have 2 questions..

Are the samples i have from .162 useable in .177 and if so is it as simple as putting them in the samples folder of .177?

Are sound samples even used anymore ?

Thanks
The sample format is still the same, so sample files should still work in current MAME. I can't think of anything added that might not be part of the MAME download, so you should be complete. Other support files, you'll need to visit other pages for.

Your 57gb total sounds like you have "Split/Merged" sets. Each setname.zip has rom parts which are unique to it and are not the same as the parent set. If you had "Full Splt" romsets, each setname.zip would contain everything it needs even if it duplicated parts from the parent. "Full Merged" will only have a setname.zip for all parents and any of the clone roms unique to those would also reside in this parent romset.
Pizzadude

The sample format is still the same, so sample files should still work in current MAME. I can't think of anything added that might not be part of the MAME download, so you should be complete. Other support files, you'll need to visit other pages for.

Your 57gb total sounds like you have "Split/Merged" sets. Each setname.zip has rom parts which are unique to it and are not the same as the parent set. If you had "Full Splt" romsets, each setname.zip would contain everything it needs even if it duplicated parts from the parent. "Full Merged" will only have a setname.zip for all parents and any of the clone roms unique to those would also reside in this parent romset.
How large is the Full Split set ?
Tafoid

Pizzadude wrote:

How large is the Full Split set ?
I personally have no idea as I don't have access to viewing a set in this form... but you lose any savings in only housing unique rom pieces in separate archives - full copies of each game romset archive is housed within it. That is a lot of redundant data and would require just as much work to keep updated as any of the other options.

Return to “MAME Discussion”