Jhenderson
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Raiden II/DX New (r2dx_v33) Not Starting

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:03 am

This is a weird one but I haven't seen anybody ask about this elsewhere. For whatever reason, both versions of this romset greet me with a solid black screen that does absolutely nothing. Is there a key combination I'm failing to press here ala holding down the service button to start Super Buster Bros. or this just broken? Its still marked as working so I don't know what to do here.

User avatar
Tafoid
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:50 pm
Location: Vermont USA
Contact: Website

Re: Raiden II/DX New (r2dx_v33) Not Starting

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:32 am

Jhenderson wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:03 am
This is a weird one but I haven't seen anybody ask about this elsewhere. For whatever reason, both versions of this romset greet me with a solid black screen that does absolutely nothing. Is there a key combination I'm failing to press here ala holding down the service button to start Super Buster Bros. or this just broken? Its still marked as working so I don't know what to do here.
Testing current GIT and 0.194 (released last Wednesday) from mamedev.org boots and works as expected, as well as the clone set r2dx_v33_r2
Are you using Non-Windows? What version of MAME are you using? AFAIK there is no startup procedure needed for this machine.

Jhenderson
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Re: Raiden II/DX New (r2dx_v33) Not Starting

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:52 am

Tafoid wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:32 am
Jhenderson wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:03 am
This is a weird one but I haven't seen anybody ask about this elsewhere. For whatever reason, both versions of this romset greet me with a solid black screen that does absolutely nothing. Is there a key combination I'm failing to press here ala holding down the service button to start Super Buster Bros. or this just broken? Its still marked as working so I don't know what to do here.


Testing current GIT and 0.194 (released last Wednesday) from mamedev.org boots and works as expected, as well as the clone set r2dx_v33_r2
Are you using Non-Windows? What version of MAME are you using? AFAIK there is no startup procedure needed for this machine.
Running .194 on Windows 7 with Emuloader frontend. All the regular sets of these two games have not given me any problems. It's just the NEW version ones.

Jhenderson
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Re: Raiden II/DX New (r2dx_v33) Not Starting

Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 pm

Here's a video I made of what I'm talking about here.

https://youtu.be/w_nWW_Mu6qU

As you can see the game is completely locked up on this black screen but I can still access Mame's UI.

User avatar
Tafoid
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:50 pm
Location: Vermont USA
Contact: Website

Re: Raiden II/DX New (r2dx_v33) Not Starting

Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Jhenderson wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 pm
Here's a video I made of what I'm talking about here.

https://youtu.be/w_nWW_Mu6qU

As you can see the game is completely locked up on this black screen but I can still access Mame's UI.
We'd need to see some debug information .. launch MAME using the "-verbose" command-line trigger via a command window.
E.G. MAME r2dx_v33 -verbose
When you launch, you'll see information in the box about what is being selected/done/setup/initialized and it might give a clue as to your issue.

Jhenderson
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Re: Raiden II/DX New (r2dx_v33) Not Starting

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:36 pm

Image
Image

It doesn't look like there's anything particularly wrong with these when compared to the regular Raiden II romset. *shrugs*

User avatar
Tafoid
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:50 pm
Location: Vermont USA
Contact: Website

Re: Raiden II/DX New (r2dx_v33) Not Starting

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:43 pm

I would attempt putting the binary in a fresh folder without any further configuration (using default), no front-end and no artwork or anything else external and trying again with a fully default setup. Alternatively, attempt launching using -video opengl, -video bgfx, or -video gdi and see if any of those show anything? The only error I see in your output is someone put "Auto" instead of "auto" for the aspect setting in your mame.ini

Jhenderson
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:56 pm

Re: Raiden II/DX New (r2dx_v33) Not Starting

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:56 am

Bingo! Creating a fresh install of Mame using a different folder actually worked. Thanks for the help.

User avatar
Tafoid
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:50 pm
Location: Vermont USA
Contact: Website

Re: Raiden II/DX New (r2dx_v33) Not Starting

Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:45 am

Jhenderson wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:56 am
Bingo! Creating a fresh install of Mame using a different folder actually worked. Thanks for the help.
I had to figure there is some configuration issue with in the front-end.. or you have a game/driver specific .ini/.cfg that wasn't playing nice.
Good to hear you issue was resolved.

Return to “MAME Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest