JessicaJones

mame -listsoftware

Hello everybody!

I have a question about the mame command line -listsoftware

It generates a XML file that contains all software lists in the current mame version.

I generated that list and counted (using a program) the number of software lists inside the XML file: it are 555 software lists for mame 0.217.

The manual says:

-listsoftware / -lsoft [<pattern>]

Posts to screen all software lists which can be used by the entered pattern or system. Note that this is simply a copy/paste of the .XML file which reside in the HASH folder which are allowed to be used.

But if I count the number of XML files in the HASH folder of MAME, I find 567 XML files.

Why has -listsoftware XML file has not the SAME amount of software lists then the HASH folder?

Is this a bug in the -listsoftware command line?

Thank you for reading!
Tafoid

Re: mame -listsoftware

JessicaJones wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:49 pm Hello everybody!

I have a question about the mame command line -listsoftware

It generates a XML file that contains all software lists in the current mame version.

I generated that list and counted (using a program) the number of software lists inside the XML file: it are 555 software lists for mame 0.217.

The manual says:

-listsoftware / -lsoft [<pattern>]

Posts to screen all software lists which can be used by the entered pattern or system. Note that this is simply a copy/paste of the .XML file which reside in the HASH folder which are allowed to be used.

But if I count the number of XML files in the HASH folder of MAME, I find 567 XML files.

Why has -listsoftware XML file has not the SAME amount of software lists then the HASH folder?

Is this a bug in the -listsoftware command line?

Thank you for reading!

No bug that I can tell. The number discrepancy is simple to explain, however, as there are a handful of XML hash files which are not hooked up to a machine and/or driver. In most cases, these are lists of software to give developers an opportunity to use as a base once they are able to start working on emulation on said machine or the functionality required to use such image data outlined in those files.
JessicaJones

Re: mame -listsoftware

Hi

So this means the correct number of software lists that are emulated in a mame version are given by -listsoftware, not the hash folder?
Can you confirm this is correct?

thx

Return to “MAME Discussion”