spludlow

MAME Networking

0.219 Windows

Dear Forum

I installed Windows 95 on ct486 all works pretty well, start like so:

mame64.exe ct486 -window -ramsize 64M -isa2 sblaster_16 -isa3 3c503 -board3:ide:ide:1 cdrom -hard1 HardDrive486.chd

I installed the TCP/IP stack and configured it in the machine (Win95).

I can ping my self but nothing beyond.

I'd expect MAME to create a virtual adapter in the host maybe, but I'm not seeing anything.

All I can find is to compile using USE_NETWORK=1 didn't know if this is my only option?

Anyone help me out please?

Cheers
spludlow

Re: MAME Networking

Well I built on windows with msys2 using:

make REGENIE=1 USE_NETWORK=1

Didn't seem to help.
mhoes

Hi,

I haven't tested this myself, but it seems that on MS-Windows you have to follow the procedure listed in this link in order to get networking to work:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... msg1703641

Hope this helps.
spludlow

Thanks mhoes that link did the trick.

So on Windows to get MAME networking working I did:

- Use the standard mame64.exe binary (Don't need to do a special build, it took 10 hours building on my box)
- Install TAP network adapter from here https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/ (You only need to select the TAP component when installing)
- Run "C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\addtap.bat" as admin, it will create 2 virtual network adapters
- You may want to rename the adapters TAP and TAP2 (I didn't need TAP2)
- In "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections" select "LAN" and "TAP" then right click "Bridge Connections" (If you get an error go into the bridge settings and make sure LAN and TAP are ticked)
- Run "mame64.exe -listnetwork", this confirms MAME can see the adapters alright, it should list TAP, TAP2
- Start the machine "mame64.exe" ct486 -window -ramsize 64M -isa2 sblaster_16 -isa3 3c503 -board3:ide:ide:1 cdrom -hard1 HardDrive486.chd"
- Exit the machine as soon at it starts, it won't work the first time.
- Confirm you have "<network> interface="0" in "ct486.cfg" (interface is the index of the adapter from -listnetwork, when I did it without TAP installed it was -1)
- Start the machine again (you should notice the cross for network unplugged goes away on the TAP adapter icon)
- Bingo

Note, bridging your network connections will mess up any static IPs on your LAN interface. The bridged interfaces' settings disappear, you would have to make any configuration you had on the LAN interface on the bridge interface.
Attachments
ct486 networked.png
ct486 networked.png (16.17 KiB) Viewed 9193 times
mhoes

Good to hear that it worked, and thanks for the detailed description. By the way, would you mind sharing the configuration of the Windows95 TCP/IP stack here ? I'm assuming you chose an unused IP address on the same subnet as where your real network interface on your PC is, and used the same DNS as well ? Also, for your real network card, is that a wired card or a WIFI card ?
spludlow

So with Windows 95 the TCP/IP protocol is not installed by default, to get it going:

- Right click on "Network neighbourhood" select properties
- Click Add
- select protocol and click add
- Choose Microsoft -> TCP/IP click OK
- It will ask for an install disk, browse to the install CDROM directory D:\i386 click ok
- TCP/IP will install

Pretty sure it works without doing anything else using DHCP. You will get a pop-up when Windows starts if it can't contact the DHCP server.

I did manually configure at first, but I just re-added TCP/IP with all defaults: "obtain address automatically" and "disable DNS".

The network properties are in right click "Network neighbourhood" -> "TCP/IP -> 3com Etherlink …" works like it does today.

You can start a command prompt and use ping. If you can ping 8.8.8.8 and not "google.com" then set DNS on the interface to 8.8.8.8

I'm wired but I don't think it matters.

Cheers
Attachments
ct486 add TCP-IP.png
ct486 add TCP-IP.png (16.81 KiB) Viewed 9132 times
mhoes

Thanks !

So with DHCP I guess that means it's using your ISP's modem to obtain an IP/subnet/DNS server, just like your physical PC, and that means that the MAME instance is on the same subnet as your physical PC. Could you please verify that ? (I believe you can use either 'ipconfig' or 'winipcfg' on Win95 to check ?)

Wired or not 'might' matter, but I am not sure. For example, the 'bridged networking' feature of VirtualBox and VMWare Workstation only work on wired cards, not WIFI. But I have no idea of that is the case for the 'Microsoft Windows bridged network' feature.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Nevermind, I figured it out. You do have to use an unused IP on the same subnet as the host, and use the same default gateway/router as the host, and the same DNS server.

Thanks for all the useful descriptions again though!

Return to “MAME Discussion”