Beastlymaps

MAME crashes while playing game

I'm not sure if this topic is allowed due to the rules, but I am having an issue playing a game that I love. The game is called "Invasion - The Abductors" by Midway Games. It crashes while playing the final level, and the crash is easily replicated and consistent. On the final level in the alien mother-ship, there are glass containers all over the various alien lab rooms. If you shoot these glass containers, the game will crash immediately. If you do not shoot these containers, the game continues to play fine. Here is a link to the video if it helps. Skip to 37:49

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6ggy7rJKPk&t=2349s

Even the person playing in the video was avoiding shooting the glass containers to avoid the crash. Not to mention that almost every enemy is in front of a glass container which almost forces you to not shoot anything and just take damage. This is very tedious and annoying in a on-rails shooter like this one.

Could anyone help me out with this issue? I really love this game, but it is such a letdown to see it crash over something so small. Ive also looked everywhere for a fix, but this isn't a very widely known game, so there is next to no support for it. I'm just hoping that someone out there maybe knows something to fix the problem. Either way, any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Robert

Re: MAME crashes while playing game

(deleted)
Last edited by Robert on Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beastlymaps

There have been no bugs reported on this specific issue on that site. I signed up for an account, but I have to wait 24 hours to post a bug. Hopefully they will turn up a solution. If I do end up finding a solution there, I will also post it here to help anyone else with the same problem. I should also mention that I ran this rom through "MAMEUI64" where it has an "audit" feature, and there are no missing files.
Tafoid

Beastlymaps wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:33 am There have been no bugs reported on this specific issue on that site. I signed up for an account, but I have to wait 24 hours to post a bug. Hopefully they will turn up a solution. If I do end up finding a solution there, I will also post it here to help anyone else with the same problem. I should also mention that I ran this rom through "MAMEUI64" where it has an "audit" feature, and there are no missing files.

Missing files will not cause issue like you describe.

What will needed to be done is to duplicate on the most recent version from MAMEDEV (Version 0.221 as of this message) https://www.mamedev.org/release.html. I'd ask for two things, make an .inp file (recorded inputs) so that the game can be replayed on a developer's system following your exact inputs. Also, just before the section in question, please make a SAVE STATE so that it can be used for quick checking/confirmation.

To launch MAME and record inputs:
mame64 invasnab -record invasnab.inp
Check/playback your input before posting with:
mame64 invasnab -playback invasnab.inp

Of course, used SHIFT+F7 to make that SAVE STATE just before it would typically crash. Choosing a non-mapped key for the slot would be best.
Put both of those resulting files, the INP (located in your INP folder), and STA file (STA/INVASNAB folders) in a .zip file before upload to MAMETESTERS.

Thanks!
Beastlymaps

I made a save state if you would like me to upload that, but for the input recording, i cant get that to work right. Every time I run the command from cmd, it launches mame for a second, then closes it out. The only input I'm even using anyways is left click on the mouse to fire, and I am shooting the glass containers. It is very easy to replicate from the save state.

However, I did notice though that when I make a save state at this specific section in the game, I can shoot almost every glass container without a crash. Or if I load from that save state, a crash is less likely to happen when shooting the containers. Maybe I can call that progress?

On a normal run of the game without loading or creating a save state, shooting a glass container will 100% result in a crash.

I appriciate the help so far, this is the most info I have seen for this subject. Hopefully we can figure this out.

Return to “MAME Discussion”