penguinjeff

Game that use to work

I use to be able to play Trog a long long time ago back in June of 2008 with mame32b.114.1.exe
I had moved to linux a long long time ago. I have kids now at the age I think they would really enjoy this game plugging in joysticks to my computer and playing two player.
I found my rom files and tried it now but am unable to get it to work now.
It complains
"The selected machine is missing one or more required ROM or CHD images. Please select a different machine."
I am sure I played it with just those files before.
I looked through old versions A few of them I was able to use wine on to uncompress and run but they would all give the same message. I tried the 32 bit of 114 and 115. Maybe the version of mame I had downloaded before had things not included with the versions released here?
The version of Trog I was using looks like it came from a console version from in the arcades not the one from the NES.
Tafoid

Re: Game that use to work

penguinjeff wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:00 pm I use to be able to play Trog a long long time ago back in June of 2008 with mame32b.114.1.exe
I had moved to linux a long long time ago. I have kids now at the age I think they would really enjoy this game plugging in joysticks to my computer and playing two player.
I found my rom files and tried it now but am unable to get it to work now.
It complains
"The selected machine is missing one or more required ROM or CHD images. Please select a different machine."
I am sure I played it with just those files before.
I looked through old versions A few of them I was able to use wine on to uncompress and run but they would all give the same message. I tried the 32 bit of 114 and 115. Maybe the version of mame I had downloaded before had things not included with the versions released here?
The version of Trog I was using looks like it came from a console version from in the arcades not the one from the NES.

You have to realize that MAME 0.114/0.115 about 13 years ago (released in 2007) and as MAME progresses, gets new versions and adds new romsets, things do not always stay the same.

A quick check on TROG tells me (using mameinfo.dat file):
0.120u3: icronnya77 added Trog (rev LA5 03/29/91). Changed parent description to 'Trog (rev LA5 03/29/91)'. Renamed (trog) to (trog4).

MAME will not tell you are missing all or part of a romset unless you are actually missing those parts which MAME needs to properly emulate and represent the physical board. Therefore, if you wish to play that game on any newer version of MAME, you'll need a to acquire a new romset to play.

Here are some links so you may Inform yourself on how romsets work in MAME.
https://wiki.mamedev.org/index.php/FAQ:ROMs
https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/aboutromsets.html

Return to “MAME Discussion”