X3R0X

N00B Dad Mame Setup Issue - Help Needed

So I've spent the last 6 months slowly building my son a full-size arcade cabinet and I am finally to the part of configuring the PC, and getting the MAME games setup (in Launchbox).

My problem is that, with Mame 0.220, I have a ton of games, many that won't play, many that are specific to certain controls (I don't support - e.g. trackballs), missing CHD's, etc. Most likely a large portion of the few thousand games wouldn't ever be played (Launchbox does filter out some based on criteria).

Is there an easy way to get a list of top ~200 popular Mame games, that work, including any additional bios/CHD's needed OR put the list together easily?
(how does Killer Instinct 2 come out with a Mame set, but doesn't include the CHD required to play?)

I am trying to get this arcade cabinet completed for his upcoming birthday, and it seems like the Mame portion is the biggest hurdle.

Suggestions?
Tafoid

Re: N00B Dad Mame Setup Issue - Help Needed

X3R0X wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:58 am So I've spent the last 6 months slowly building my son a full-size arcade cabinet and I am finally to the part of configuring the PC, and getting the MAME games setup (in Launchbox).

My problem is that, with Mame 0.220, I have a ton of games, many that won't play, many that are specific to certain controls (I don't support - e.g. trackballs), missing CHD's, etc. Most likely a large portion of the few thousand games wouldn't ever be played (Launchbox does filter out some based on criteria).

Is there an easy way to get a list of top ~200 popular Mame games, that work, including any additional bios/CHD's needed OR put the list together easily?
(how does Killer Instinct 2 come out with a Mame set, but doesn't include the CHD required to play?)

I am trying to get this arcade cabinet completed for his upcoming birthday, and it seems like the Mame portion is the biggest hurdle.

Suggestions?
You've posted this exact message over at MAMEWORLD.info forums and it seems you are getting response there.
https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/s ... ber=386919

MAME is not difficult to use. You uncompress the release to a folder, place any obtained ROMS into the folder marked "ROMS" and when MAME is launched they should be able to be selected via the Internal menu. ROMS themselves are not static between MAME versions as development is always continuing. I would get MAME running outside of your Launchbox environment first, then work on that with people who are familiar with that launcher. If you need information regarding MAME, ROMS and other things like that, please visit: https://docs.mamedev.org/

Return to “MAME Discussion”