PepsiBoy428

Cannot get CHD games to load despite being installed correctly.

Hi I recently updated my MAME to 0.222 and it won't load any CHD based games (Ex. sf2049, sfrushrk, etc.), CHD games worked fine in 0.220 and now the latest version doesn't load ANY CHD based games. How do I fix this?
Tafoid

Re: Cannot get CHD games to load despite being installed correctly.

PepsiBoy428 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:10 pm Hi I recently updated my MAME to 0.222 and it won't load any CHD based games (Ex. sf2049, sfrushrk, etc.), CHD games worked fine in 0.220 and now the latest version doesn't load ANY CHD based games. How do I fix this?

Not quite sure what to suggest here as they work for pretty much everyone else. The only change in recent memory was to no longer allow loading of loosely stored CHD files in your ROMPATH - which I assume you may have been doing if those games suddenly doesn't load.

Let's take one example of San Francisco Rush 2049 (sf2049)

In your mame.ini:
ROMPATH c:\mame\roms

The ROM Chips (sfrush.zip) and Compressed Hunks of Data (sf2049.chd), by default, are looked for in:
ROMS:
c:\mame\roms\sf2049.zip
CHD:
c:\mame\roms\sf2049\sf2049.chd

If you have a separate folder for CHDS, each CHD be placed in a folder inside that ROMPATH entry which matches it up to the actual game.
Using the above example, for instance, with multiple rompaths (separated with a semi-colon ;
ROMPATH c:\mame\roms;f:\chd

ROMS could be in::
f:\chd\sf2049.zip

CHD could be in:
f:\chd\sf2049\sf2049.chd
PepsiBoy428

Tafoid wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:10 am
PepsiBoy428 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:10 pm Hi I recently updated my MAME to 0.222 and it won't load any CHD based games (Ex. sf2049, sfrushrk, etc.), CHD games worked fine in 0.220 and now the latest version doesn't load ANY CHD based games. How do I fix this?

Not quite sure what to suggest here as they work for pretty much everyone else. The only change in recent memory was to no longer allow loading of loosely stored CHD files in your ROMPATH - which I assume you may have been doing if those games suddenly doesn't load.

In your mame.ini:

The ROM Chips (sfrush.zip) and Compressed Hunks of Data (sf2049.chd), by default, are looked for in:
ROMS:
CHD:

If you have a separate folder for CHDS, each CHD be placed in a folder inside that ROMPATH entry which matches it up to the actual game.
Using the above example, for instance, with multiple rompaths (separated with a semi-colon ;

CHD could be in:
Just tried that and they still won't detect the CHD files. Plus I don't have a mame.ini file.
Tafoid

PepsiBoy428 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:07 am

In your mame.ini:

ROMS:
CHD:

CHD could be in:
Just tried that and they still won't detect the CHD files. Plus I don't have a mame.ini file.

Again, not sure what your problem can be. Are you using another front-end to launch MAME? I've seen cases where the front-end doesn't have proper setting information and it screws everything up.

The mame.ini can be created by launching MAME64 and selecting "Configure Options" then "Save Configuration" or launch from command-line: mame64 -cc
PepsiBoy428

Tafoid wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:44 pm

In your mame.ini:

ROMS:
CHD:

CHD could be in:

Again, not sure what your problem can be. Are you using another front-end to launch MAME? I've seen cases where the front-end doesn't have proper setting information and it screws everything up.

The mame.ini can be created by launching MAME64 and selecting "Configure Options" then "Save Configuration" or launch from command-line: mame64 -cc

Okay, created my MAME.INI file and I'm confused with it, How do I add chd folder paths to it? I'm new to using mame.ini
Tafoid

PepsiBoy428 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:57 pm
Tafoid wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:44 pm

Okay, created my MAME.INI file and I'm confused with it, How do I add chd folder paths to it? I'm new to using mame.ini
You can edit it (notepad should be fine), just like any text file and add romset path to it as I detailed earlier.
If that is too much, use MAME64 - "Configure Options" then "Configure Directories", choose "ROMs" and you can add new folders to look for roms here.

Return to “MAME Discussion”