Starfiretbt

What is "IO read test?"

I was playing "Contra" and then I hit "Shift F3" because that was the key combination I use in Snes9x to save to state 3 but in MAME that does a "machine reset." Now every time I try to open the game I get some kind of screen that says "IO read test" and nothing seems to happen. Is there a way to undo this or do I need to replace the ROM?

Also what is "Attach a signature" under the post options?
Tafoid

Re: What is "IO read test?"

Starfiretbt wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:25 pm I was playing "Contra" and then I hit "Shift F3" because that was the key combination I use in Snes9x to save to state 3 but in MAME that does a "machine reset." Now every time I try to open the game I get some kind of screen that says "IO read test" and nothing seems to happen. Is there a way to undo this or do I need to replace the ROM?

Also what is "Attach a signature" under the post options?

The "IO Read Test" screen is part of the service mode options. If I had to guess, you mistakenly toggled it along the way by hitting F2. If you hit F2 again after you get to that screen then stop and restart MAME, you should boot into game normally.

A "signature" in this forum is a tagline or text at the bottom of every message you post here. Most people would have no need for it.
Starfiretbt

Hitting f2 didn't work, also I think I may have changed the command you are referring to because f2 doesn't activate service for me. Since I figured I must have changed it I deleted the "default.cfg" file to change it back but that ended up fixing it anyways so problem solved. Thank you guys.
Also I noticed a great deal of .cfg files seeming to correspond to all the games I have been playing. This means I can delete specific game control modifications doesn't it? If so that is great, that way if I screw up I don't have to reedit every game.
Tafoid

Starfiretbt wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:18 pm Hitting f2 didn't work, also I think I may have changed the command you are referring to because f2 doesn't activate service for me. Since I figured I must have changed it I deleted the "default.cfg" file to change it back but that ended up fixing it anyways so problem solved. Thank you guys.
Also I noticed a great deal of .cfg files seeming to correspond to all the games I have been playing. This means I can delete specific game control modifications doesn't it? If so that is great, that way if I screw up I don't have to reedit every game.

F2 is the default for a toggle-able Service Mode key. If you have problems, you can delete a game's .cfg or even .nvram in some cases to clear things up. A .cfg file is saved for each game to save dip settings and input and menus choices for that game. This allows for particular machines or drivers to get specific settings that can be shared. If you feel like diving into some configuration, you can check https://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/multiconfig.html and other parts of the Wiki for answers.

Return to “MAME Discussion”