username

The Hand/Got-Ya

I read online that Got-Ya was just a title hack, but on playing it not only is the blond girl at the end of each round in The Hand changed to a no doubt unauthorized drawing of Olive Oyl in Got-Ya, but the girl's samples which say Handy in The Hand say Hopeye in Got-Ya. What's the story behind this? Any progress on emulating the sound? The Hand is less than 30K, but the samples are nearly 800K. It shares sound hardware with Vanguard and Fantasy, but at least those have music. The Hand has no sound without the samples.
Tafoid

Re: The Hand/Got-Ya

username wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:32 am I read online that Got-Ya was just a title hack, but on playing it not only is the blond girl at the end of each round in The Hand changed to a no doubt unauthorized drawing of Olive Oyl in Got-Ya, but the girl's samples which say Handy in The Hand say Hopeye in Got-Ya. What's the story behind this? Any progress on emulating the sound? The Hand is less than 30K, but the samples are nearly 800K. It shares sound hardware with Vanguard and Fantasy, but at least those have music. The Hand has no sound without the samples.

Sounds for this game are solely via external sample packs (.wav files). Driver seems to indicate a totally unemulated CPU/MCU - so who knows when enough information comes to light to be able to handle speech and other audio via proper emulation. I see nothing that states this is a similar/same sound hardware as 6502-based SNK games. I'd suggest reading the source driver files as mostly all known information for anything in MAME is documented in a comment or the coding itself.
username

Re: The Hand/Got-Ya

Thanks. Both snk6502.cpp and gotya.cpp use an unemulated HD38880/HD38882 for speech, However, SNK's games at least have music and just need samples for speech and unemulated discrete sounds, while The Hand/Got-Ya have no sound at all unless you have the samples, which are huge. Just wondering how an obscure game like The Hand by a company which apparently made no other games has the same speech ROMs as a famous game like Vanguard by a major company like SNK. Also, Olive Oyl's picture and her saying "Hopeye" in Got-Ya had to be unlicensed, right?

Return to “MAME Discussion”