SparklePig78

CHD Files Have the Same Names?

I have a full set of mame .202 chd files (zipped). When I use 7z to extract them all, after a while, it begins to tell me that files with the same name already exist, and asks if II want to overwrite certain files. How do I keep them in the same folder while not losing any chd's, and why do some have the same name?
Tafoid

Re: CHD Files Have the Same Names?

SparklePig78 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:14 am I have a full set of mame .202 chd files (zipped). When I use 7z to extract them all, after a while, it begins to tell me that files with the same name already exist, and asks if II want to overwrite certain files. How do I keep them in the same folder while not losing any chd's, and why do some have the same name?

There are a small handful of CHDs which are used for different clones and not the parent set. The way MAME uses the parent/clone relationships doesn't allow potentially duplicated CHDs between clones.

It is not advised to store any CHD in any type of compressed container (,.zip/,7z) as they are already compressed.
Older MAME versions did sometimes allow just flopping random CHD's in the ROM folder but this is no longer the case. CHD files are meant to be placed in a folder which is the same as the shortname for the game. For instance, instead of placing all images in "ROMS" folder, each one needs to be in their own folder [Example: Killer Instinct should be placed in kinst\kinst.chd inside your ROMS folder (or properly set up ROMPATH location)].

https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/aboutromsets.html

Return to “MAME Discussion”