username

IPM Invader

I was trying all the games in the m10.cpp driver. Andromeda SS is not working because of an incomplete dump (the aliens appear but not your ship), but the other games are OK. However, only IPM Invader has imperfect sound while the other games' sounds are completely unemulated. They do have sounds if you have ipminvad samples, which are actually smaller than invaders samples even though they seem the same (0-9 .wav). What's odd is all the games except Sky Chuter play sounds normally, while Chuter doesn't play sounds unless you have Demo Sounds set to on in Machine Configuration (even though it doesn't actually play sounds in the demo, only in the game itself)! Also, Head-On gives you 4 lives even when dips say 3 lives. The other games give you the correct lives.
username

Re: IPM Invader

I saw there was another early Irem game, PT Reach Mahjong, that has its own driver, m14.cpp. Turns out it's a ball & paddle Breakout-type game! It's all in Japanese because there's no way they were going to export something like this. Sadly, there's no sound unless you have the ptrmj samples, which are big, much bigger than the ipminvad samples (especially since ptrmj only works for 1 game, while ipminvad works for half a dozen). Maybe PT Reach should be classified as a ball & paddle game in MAME instead of mahjong so more people would try it (SNK's 1987 Mahjong Block Jongbou IS classified as a ball & paddle game in MAME).
username

Re: IPM Invader

I saw a flyer for Space Beam that says Nanao made this game. I saw no mention of Irem. Who actually made it? There's no mention of Nanao anywhere in the m10.cpp driver, but Wikipedia's Irem page says they developed Meikyuujima (also known as Kickle Cubicle), but there's no mention of them having anything to do with Space Beam. Also, the Irem page mentions several mahjong and block games, but not PT Reach Mahjong. There is a flyer on flyerfever.com that names it Reach Mahjong, however.

Return to “MAME Discussion”