abispac

Mame source loaded with mining trojan

So im usually a carefull type of person that most times do not need an antivirus installed as i dont usually download weird stuff or funny content. Anyways, more than a month ago i got infected with a miner trojan, and had a hard time getting rid of it at the point i decided to wipe out my computer and start clean. I installed notrhon 360 just to be aware of what was i doing wrong,so i copied my old files back, so most exes were stopped by the antivirus ,no harm there as it was mostly stuff like emulators,hyperspin and rocketlauncher. stuff i could get back easy. But to my sorprise, now that i want to update mame, i always compiled myself to remove the savestate mesages. Well, i cant download mame source as 360 detects it with the damn trojan i was having problems with, so i cant download it. Anyway i hope this is a false positive, but to be honest i dont want to go trhu the process of cleaning my computer again, so for now ill stick with precompiled mame i found on hyperspin site and keep an eye here to see if anyone else can confirm. I really dont want to think that someone at the mame team its taking advantage of its position to mine whatever the mining with this trojan. Thanks and have a great day. PS: i apologice fod teh bad grammar, english is my second lenguage.
Tafoid

Re: Mame source loaded with mining trojan

abispac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:40 pm So im usually a carefull type of person that most times do not need an antivirus installed as i dont usually download weird stuff or funny content. Anyways, more than a month ago i got infected with a miner trojan, and had a hard time getting rid of it at the point i decided to wipe out my computer and start clean. I installed notrhon 360 just to be aware of what was i doing wrong,so i copied my old files back, so most exes were stopped by the antivirus ,no harm there as it was mostly stuff like emulators,hyperspin and rocketlauncher. stuff i could get back easy. But to my sorprise, now that i want to update mame, i always compiled myself to remove the savestate mesages. Well, i cant download mame source as 360 detects it with the damn trojan i was having problems with, so i cant download it. Anyway i hope this is a false positive, but to be honest i dont want to go trhu the process of cleaning my computer again, so for now ill stick with precompiled mame i found on hyperspin site and keep an eye here to see if anyone else can confirm. I really dont want to think that someone at the mame team its taking advantage of its position to mine whatever the mining with this trojan. Thanks and have a great day. PS: i apologice fod teh bad grammar, english is my second lenguage.

Thank you for the report.

We are quite confident that our 7-zip compressed packages are free of any type of trojan/other type of virus and self-extracting archives can trigger them falsely If you are unsure, you can also open up the .exe as a .7z archive and manually extract the contents from it bypassing whatever your scanner is telling you might be infected since you will not use the internal extractor. We will attempt to have the false flag fixed.

You can also download the source from GitHub packaging which uses .tar/gz/.zip:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/releases/tag/mame0228 (just change version number at the end for future releases)
abispac

Re: Mame source loaded with mining trojan

thank you kind, will download from the git from now on, it seems clean to my antivirus....

Return to “MAME Discussion”