bob_loblaw

Why do people like MAME?

Just genuinely curious about why people like it so much. I personally could never stand MAME.
Tafoid

Re: Why do people like MAME?

bob_loblaw wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:21 pm Just genuinely curious about why people like it so much. I personally could never stand MAME.

The link below best illustrates why MAME might be liked by some.
https://www.mamedev.org/about.html

Now, we realize that not everyone likes emulation nor the project's attempts to further document and that's just fine. Being purely voluntary, MAME's contributors continually work to further MAME's goals and having negative attitudes and also expecting all games to run 100% at all time will not get you far here or anywhere in life to be honest. As for you in particular not being able to stand MAME, as you say, I am surprised you took the time out of your life to let us know your displeasure with the MAME project. Duly noted.
bob_loblaw

Do you not like the fact that I don't like MAME? Aren't people entitled to their own opinions?
mhoes

bob_loblaw wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:58 pm Do you not like the fact that I don't like MAME? Aren't people entitled to their own opinions?
Hi !

Of course, you and everyone else are certainly entitled to their very own opinions. And please do note that we are so glad you explicitly took the time and effort to register an account and make your very first and only posts about voicing that opinion - about how you do not like MAME - on a specific MAME fans targeted forum ! All those 25+ years the MAME project has been in existence, we literally have never found *anyone* who did not like MAME. So you can imagine how absolutely thrilled we are to now *finally* have actually found someone who does not like MAME ! It's almost if all of our wishes have finally been granted, and all of our prayers answered ! So please do not hesitate, and keep informing us of all of the many and endless ways in which you do not like MAME, as often and in as many places as humanly possible ! Keep up the good work !
spludlow

bob_loblaw wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:21 pm Just genuinely curious about why people like it so much. I personally could never stand MAME.
It's a fair question. I'm not on the MAME team by the way.

Anyone would have to admit its not "easy" to set your ROMs up. Do it manually or pick some ROM manager, you still got to get the ROMs which is a game in its self.

There's not even an official binary installer, maybe something like the Minecraft loader would be nice that keeps everything up to date.

That brings me onto the matter that updating the binaries can then break your previous version ROMs loading. Which some find disappointing.

You have to read some docs to be able to do anything, first time you use it how do you even coin up?

So the good bits.

Well pretty obviously you can play all the machines it supports. With a full ROM set any game at the press of a button. Its a very impressive project if you think about it.

If you have a collector/hoarder personality then collecting and keeping ROMs up to date is fun in its self.

Also helps if your getting on a bit, the kids may think retro is cool, but not as much as the old sods that remember these machines.

To sum up I can see why less technical people would hate it for sure.

Cheers
NewWizKid

I like it because of the large verity of arcade games it supports. It has a lot of them that other emulators can't emulate, which without MAME would be rather disappointing.
Atario

Why wouldn't they?
Exley

what a stupid question
unless you were never born in arcade years, then you can't understand obviously
bob_loblaw

Exley wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:47 pm what a stupid question
I just don't like the crappy emulation on many of the games, particularly the 3d games which are pretty much unplayable in MAME.
mhoes

bob_loblaw wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:50 pm
Exley wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:47 pm what a stupid question
I just don't like the crappy emulation on many of the games, particularly the 3d games which are pretty much unplayable in MAME.
I just don't like the crappy comments from many of the gamers about the emulator, particularly the ones that 'demand' that something provided to them for free by unpaid volunteers 'must work' according to their expectations.

Return to “MAME Discussion”