TymoDEV

MNG play under MAME

Hi,
I have recorded my gameplay in .mng save state file. It is special native format for gamelay, isn't it?
MAME0.200 hasn't got play option?

In older versions 0.54, 0.56 I have played all gameplays.
How to achive this opportunity? Is it possible under command line?
mhoes

Re: MNG play under MAME

TymoDEV wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:36 am Hi,
I have recorded my gameplay in .mng save state file. It is special native format for gamelay, isn't it?
MAME0.200 hasn't got play option?

In older versions 0.54, 0.56 I have played all gameplays.
How to achive this opportunity? Is it possible under command line?
I'm sure its a language barrier, but I honestly cannot tell what you are trying to do here. Are you talking about :

1.) save states: which let you resume your game at the same point you left it the previous time you started it.
2.) recording your game, and then playing back that recorded gameplay.
3.) something else entirely ?

By the way, MAME versions 0.54/0.56 are so old and outdated it's not even funny (august 2001), and even 0.200 is quite old as well (2018). Youre probably better of with getting the latest version from mamedev.org (0.235 currently).
mhoes

Ah. I did some googling, and I think I know what you mean now: You probably want to record the gameplay to a videofile, and then playback the video with a separate media player ? If so, then you can indeed do that from the commandline, with '-aviwrite'. I tried it a little, and to me it looks like these files get pretty big pretty fast. Also, you have the older way of using '-mngwrite' and '-wavwrite', but it looks like you will then need to do some post-processing on the files.

So, as I understand it, from the commandline either:

Code: Select all

mame pacman -aviwrite foo.avi
or

Code: Select all

mame pacman -mngwrite foo.mng -wavwrite foo.wav
Robert

(deleted)
Last edited by Robert on Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhoes

Robert wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:14 amaviwrite is the preferred option, but as you note, the files grow incredibly quickly, so fast that some hard drives can't keep up.
And you need to have a lot of free space to store it as well, which you may not have.
Robert wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:14 am mng format, as I understand it, isn't really supported by much external software, and I suppose should be regarded as legacy. But if it does the job for you, go for it.

wavwrite records only sound, to a wav file. Probably no use to you.
I assumed (but you know what happens when we assUme) that the mng format only stored images without sounds, and you then needed to merge it with the wav somehow to get both image and sound. But I have to admit I didn't look into it all that much, so that may be wildly incorrect.

Return to “MAME Discussion”