yoray

MAME UI causing GPU 1 jump to ~100%

Hi guys,

When I open the MAME UI my "GPU 1" metric in task manager rises to ~100% and by that of course all the games runs super slow and laggy... Everything worked just fine for the last 2 weeks since I started using MAME. This issue started suddenly, probably after closing my laptop screen putting it on sleep mode or maybe there was a OS restart which had some sort of update..

I went back a couple of versions and I found that this issue occurs on probably all 0.193+ versions so now I'm with 0.192 which works just fine it's just that it's an older version which does not support some games...
There was this one time I opened an older version (like 0.150 or something) and then it was look like it fixed the problem somehow, went back to the latest version and once I tried to change an input key while playing the problem came back on that exact moment. I couldn't do this trick again since that.

- Tried to extract a new MAME instance of some of the latest versions - didn't help
- Tried Google for solutions - didn't help
- Updated my graphics cards drivers - didn't help

I have no background in software development or debugging capabilities so I can't investigate this problem farther more...

Specs:
- Microsoft Surface Book
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6600U CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.81 GHz
- RAM 16.0 GB
- Windows 10 Pro
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 965M
yoray

Re: MAME UI causing GPU 1 jump to ~100%

Update, a couple of days later, the new version seems to work again.
I hope this issue won't appear again in the future
Tafoid

yoray wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:59 am Update, a couple of days later, the new version seems to work again.
I hope this issue won't appear again in the future

No idea what could have happened to your setup or if there was some regression in function somewhere in older versions.
We always suggest you use the latest versions available on mamedev.org as all the support is for the current version.
Glad to hear your problem 'fixed' itself.
yoray

so.. yet another update.

This issue seems to come and go. When I restart my computer it seems to be gone for a couple of minutes and then, while playing my favorite game Super Street Fighter II Turbo (ssf2t) the issue comes back again and it doesn't leave probably until the next restart... I don't know if it's related to this specific game, I believe it's not.

Note that when the MAME window is minimized, the GPU 1 metric on 0. The bigger the MAME window size is the more GPU 1 is being used. Basically I'm able to play games but on a very small window - almost third times smaller than my actual screen size width. With this window size the GPU 1 is around 60% and games seems to run pretty smoothly. Increasing the window size increases the GPU 1 and so the lags: even when the GPU 1 is on ~80% there are some peaks that causing lags every couple of seconds which ruins the experience...

I tried the new mame0236b - didn't help

Return to “MAME Discussion”