slybunda

Slow performance with HLSL?

hello all, iv got mame running on a pentium 4 531 3ghz cpu, 3gb ram and Nvidia GT310 card.
in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with HLSL turned on emulation speed drops to around 70%. i changed the cpu to a p4 925 dual core and there was no change in framerate game still runs at around 70% of true speed.
could this be an issue with the graphics card? os is windows 7 64bit. pic of graphics card stats attached.
Tafoid

Re: Slow performance with HLSL?

slybunda wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:58 am hello all, iv got mame running on a pentium 4 531 3ghz cpu, 3gb ram and Nvidia GT310 card.
in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with HLSL turned on emulation speed drops to around 70%. i changed the cpu to a p4 925 dual core and there was no change in framerate game still runs at around 70% of true speed.
could this be an issue with the graphics card? os is windows 7 64bit. pic of graphics card stats attached.

Your presumption very likely correct. HLSL performance is tied almost entirely to the fitness and capability of the graphics card/adapter. Your CPU also seems to be on the edge of not being able to get 100% if I had to guess. I'd say not using HLSL is your only choice, perhaps adding a simple "-effect scanlines.png" (edit mame.ini, adding "scanlines.png" to the effect line) to fake the scanlines is your only recourse.
slybunda

Yes using standard scanlines method works good. Im gonna have to see i can run mame in a window and then use gpuz to monitor gpu usage and see if its pegged at 100%.
Cpu usage remains low on the games i have tested so far. Cps1 and neogeo stuff.
slybunda

dont know why the pic didnt upload last time. heres trying again.

so attaching to this forum doesnt work, here is hosting attempt:

Return to “MAME Discussion”