username

30 Test Error

Using 0.236 (version from arcade.mameworld.info) and 30 Test gives an "error parsing cheat expression" message and then it runs normally. That expression is mentioned only a few times on Google, and checking within the last year gets no hits. I don't know if this is known already but I'm mentioning it here in case anyone who knows more can pass the info on to someone who fixes these things.
Robert

Re: 30 Test Error

Turn off cheats.
username

You know, I thought it was annoying when I contributed dozens of topics a long time ago and got almost no responses to any of them (and the ones I did get were mostly useless), but when I ask about something for the first time in ages I get "Turn off cheats". The question is why it gives that error, which seems uncommon judging from the very few hits the exact error message gives on Google, and how best to fix it; turning off cheats is pointless because then what's the point of having them? Nobody's paying quarters to play these games anymore, so using cheats to finish games we played back in the arcade days is a very common practice; I doubt most people care about 30 Test, seeing as how it's just a reflex game, but there may be some people out there who remember playing it, and since it's very hard to play it properly on a keyboard the cheats would be appreciated, I'm sure. So I'll ask again if anyone knows what's wrong/can send the info to someone who does?
Tafoid

username wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:03 pm You know, I thought it was annoying when I contributed dozens of topics a long time ago and got almost no responses to any of them (and the ones I did get were mostly useless), but when I ask about something for the first time in ages I get "Turn off cheats". The question is why it gives that error, which seems uncommon judging from the very few hits the exact error message gives on Google, and how best to fix it; turning off cheats is pointless because then what's the point of having them? Nobody's paying quarters to play these games anymore, so using cheats to finish games we played back in the arcade days is a very common practice; I doubt most people care about 30 Test, seeing as how it's just a reflex game, but there may be some people out there who remember playing it, and since it's very hard to play it properly on a keyboard the cheats would be appreciated, I'm sure. So I'll ask again if anyone knows what's wrong/can send the info to someone who does?

All cheat data (XML) packages are external to the project and are not maintained by MAMEDEV. This message will show on cheats where they cannot be parsed or matched up to MAME's current labels and CPU usage. The expression needs to be rewritten to account for the changes emulated memory structure in the CPU which is being called. Without using an older MAME (looks to be 0.229 and prior still work), you are out of luck using the cheats for this particular machine.

http://www.mamecheat.co.uk/forums/ is where to report/ask about fixing it.
Robert

username wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:03 pm I contributed dozens of topics a long time ago
Welcome back

username wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:03 pm The question is why it gives that error.. So I'll ask again if anyone knows what's wrong.
I misunderstood your question. The error is because the CPU used in that game was rewritten rendering the cheat useless.

username wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:03 pm can send the info to someone who does.
No, cheats are looked after by the userbase. You need to contact the forum listed in Tafoid's reply, and perhaps they might be able to work out a replacement cheat. Or you can follow my original answer - turn off cheats for that game until the replacement arrives.
username

While checking all my Roms for the first time in a long while I found that Jackal also has the cheat problem, but unlike 30 Test which only required 1 click to bypass the error Jackal had nearly 10 errors that needed clicking before I could get to the game.
username

Kuri Kinton required 2 clicks to get to the game.
Tafoid

username wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:51 pm Kuri Kinton required 2 clicks to get to the game.

Yes, I've already just tested the current cheat package and there are those you listed that are not loading cheats and more.

This is to be expected when cheats are nearly 18 months behind the most recently released binary that assorted cheats will no longer be able to be loaded or used due to driver changes. My count was 14 machines out of the 9264 that have cheat data which had loading issues - hardly a show stopper.

Please, no more reporting of bad cheats here. As I explained earlier, these are not part of the MAME package and is a separate project. Nor is "Arcade" (with grafted Windows only front-end) supported on the official forum.
username

That's why I was listing them; I knew someone would get annoyed and respond with something productive like you just did. The reason I'm listing the ones I find here is because when I was a regular contributor here some time ago some of my comments were also about cheats and I was told to mention them on this or that forum, but trying to register on several different arcade-related sites never worked because their process for registering was a mess. Thus, since I obviously managed to successfully register on this site this is where I'm doing this. When I'm done going through all my roms (currently about halfway done) then I'll collect all the titles I've found with non-working cheats and try again to register and mention them on some other site. Perhaps my findings will be different than other people's and can be of some use in fixing them..
username

Fighting Hawk took 1 click to get to the game.

Return to “MAME Discussion”