Teto

Some games no longer work after the Mame update

Hi Boys,
Sorry for the question, but I understand that when I update the version of the MAme, some games I played with before the update no longer work for me. For example Venture (just to name one) and in all its available versions. re-downloaded the game rom but nothing to do. up to version 190 of the MAme no problem but both on version 236 and on version .237 nothing to do tells me that some files are missing. Has anyone else had such a problem?
solutions?
thanks a lot
Regards
Tafoid

Re: Some games no longer work after the Mame update

Teto wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:39 am Hi Boys,
Sorry for the question, but I understand that when I update the version of the MAme, some games I played with before the update no longer work for me. For example Venture (just to name one) and in all its available versions. re-downloaded the game rom but nothing to do. up to version 190 of the MAme no problem but both on version 236 and on version .237 nothing to do tells me that some files are missing. Has anyone else had such a problem?
solutions?
thanks a lot
Regards

Romset information from official docs:
https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/aboutromsets.html

Checking that particular machine, Venture did seem to get both machine shortname moving/renaming and some changed roms in the past few years as mentioned in mameinfo.dat, or http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_m ... me=venture (check the "Info" tab near the bottom of the page).

Looks to be last actual name/data changes date to February of this year (9 months ago). They are out there we just cannot help you find them.
Hanzo

I regretted posting this, so this post has been removed.
Last edited by Hanzo on Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haze

I don't really agree with how you've expressed that, this isn't like comparing a PS4 game to a PS3 game or similar.

The latest MAME expects the most correct dumps based on current knowledge. This is necessary for it to function.

Older versions run/expect some bad dumps (usually with bugs) because we didn't know the dumps were bad at the time.

Newer versions expect the correct dumps in cases where the old dumps have been identified as bad. (no point in maintaining compatibility with bad / incomplete dumps)

Maybe 1% of sets (if that) will change over the course of a year.
Hanzo

I regretted posting this, so this post has been removed.
Last edited by Hanzo on Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stiletto

Hanzo, perhaps re-reviewing the following would be a good idea:
https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/aboutromsets.html
The reason why romsets for a specific game change isn't JUST about new hardware being emulated, that's actually a pretty infrequent reason.
More often, we are either replacing a corrupt file or adding a dump of a chip that the arcade PCB dumper inadvertently left out decades ago.
Sometimes, we are adding dumps for which it was technologically difficult to dump in years past (ex. microcontrollers) - although in a certain point of view, that can be new hardware being emulated.

In any event, we'd like to get "use the MAME ROM set compatible with your version of MAME" out of the vernacular. With the appropriate usage of ROM set auditing tools, an old MAME ROM set can be updated to be current with the addition of the new dumps required. There's no reason to download countless gigabytes all over again.
- Stiletto

Return to “MAME Discussion”