Draugr

[QUESTION] Related to MAME and Computers

Hi everyone.

I think this is my first post on these forums even though it turns out I had an account already, so it is possible I may have posted many many years ago.

Anyhow, my question today is related to the type of questions one can ask on these forums? I'd like to know if it is ok to ask questions related to using MAME and if it will run the classic 1970s and 1980s games on a specific PC processor and RAM?

Anyhow, before I go asking my questions, I wanted to make sure such questions are ok here. If not, can someone suggest a MAME / PC related forum that is popular and might be able to answer not only the above question, but perhaps even questions related to customizing the design and operation of the OS to auto boot MAME, etc.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Robert

Re: [QUESTION] Related to MAME and Computers

(deleted)
Last edited by Robert on Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Multi Retro Man

Re: [QUESTION] Related to MAME and Computers

Hi, I have just noticed your original post.

What I would say is that you could download Mame and try the games first (maybe just download the one you want to try - and then delete it afterwards due to copyright (cough cough)).

I have an old PC (HP 6000 SFF) and that runs older versions of Mame games okay but newer ones, it struggles with.

For example, one of my favourite games is Astro Blaster and that ran really well before but subsequent updates made the game run much slower and choppy (with the voice sounding like Norman Collier (in case you're not old enough to remember, he sounded like he was talking into a microphone that kept randomly cutting out)).

My older laptop had an I7 - 6700HQ processor in it and a GTX960M graphics card and that struggled to run the game.

I've since bought a Lenovo Legion 5 laptop and that plays all the games perfectly, so there's a chance that some games like Pacman should work okay, but some may struggle.

Hope that helps, somewhat. :)

Return to “MAME Discussion”