rh1nomyt3

HLSL and Bezels

Hi everyone. I'm seeing performance issues (slowness, audio stuttering) when enabling HLSL and bezels at the same time, only at a specific resolution. My monitor's resolution is set to 2560x1440. If I enable HLSL, but bezels are off, I have not found any issues with any games that I've tried. Everything works well. Similarly, if I turn HLSL off and turn bezels on, I have no issues. Also, I can set my monitor to 1920x1080, enable HLSL and turn on bezels and everything works great. So I'm only having these issues when HLSL is enabled, bezels are turned on, and my monitor resolution is set to 2560x1440.

My question is, is there some setting that I have wrong in my mame.ini file, perhaps in the OSD PER-WINDOW VIDEO OPTIONS section, that would allow this to also work at 2560x1440? It was my understanding that HLSL can put a lot of work on the graphics card, but like I said above, it handles it fine when bezels are off. I didn't think turning bezels on would affect the performance. Is it likely that bezels affect performance just enough to only matter at that specific higher resolution? I get that that wouldn't be unheard of, but I'd like someone who knows more about this stuff to confirm for sure. For some reason I feel like this is just a settings issue or conflict that I'm missing somewhere and can't figure out. Right now, I'm just playing around with MAME and trying to get the settings and controls to work, so I've got it all hooked up to this multi-purpose monitor. Once I'm happy with everything, the plan is to build a cabinet and it will have a different monitor or TV in it. At that point, sure, I could target using a monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. I'm not sure how I'd do that with a TV though. I'm just looking to better understand what's going on with the resolution/screen/view/layout settings, so that if I need to make adjustments to work with whatever display I'm using, I can do so effectively. Maybe it's a botched setting in an .ini or .lay file? Anyone have any ideas or thoughts? Help is much appreciated.

My current specs are as follows:
MAME 0.240
Monitor: 2560x1440, 144Hz
Intel i5-4590 CPU 3.30GHz
16 GB RAM
256GB SSD
Windows 10 Pro
NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 (low profile D4 2G)

Return to “MAME Discussion”