SparklePig78

How to change Input from “This Game” to “General” in a lot of games quickly?

So I’m using mame .78, on retroarch, being run by RetroPie. Basically I, changed my input on the “Input (This Game)” tab, and I need to reverse those games back to using the “Input (General)” tab. There are some games that I need to keep using the this game tab, mainly the 4 way joystick games. What is the best way to revert all those games back to using the general tab, while keeping some?

Thanks in advance, Parker
mhoes

Re: How to change Input from “This Game” to “General” in a lot of games quickly?

SparklePig78 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:06 pm So I’m using mame .78, on retroarch, being run by RetroPie. Basically I, changed my input on the “Input (This Game)” tab, and I need to reverse those games back to using the “Input (General)” tab. There are some games that I need to keep using the this game tab, mainly the 4 way joystick games. What is the best way to revert all those games back to using the general tab, while keeping some?

Hi,

0.78 was released way back in 2003, now nearly 20 years ago.

If you are looking for active support, you may want to consider a more recent and official MAME version, like the 0.245 version which was just released on the official website [1].

Having said that, for all custom configurations for a specific game you get a game specific *.cfg file in the cfg directory. So for example for pacman, you will get a 'cfg/pacman.cfg' file, which contains all the machine specific settings that you have made for pacman. Removing that file will undo all of the machine specific settings you have made for pacman, and revert them to the 'general' settings. Please note that this will revert all game/machine specific settings you may have made back to the defaults - like for example dip switch settings - and not just the input. In order to be able to undo things if they go wrong, you should make copies/backups of these files before you delete any of them so you can go back to the old situation if you should desire to do so.

[1]
https://www.mamedev.org/
SparklePig78

Re: How to change Input from “This Game” to “General” in a lot of games quickly?

mhoes wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:12 pm
SparklePig78 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:06 pm So I’m using mame .78, on retroarch, being run by RetroPie. Basically I, changed my input on the “Input (This Game)” tab, and I need to reverse those games back to using the “Input (General)” tab. There are some games that I need to keep using the this game tab, mainly the 4 way joystick games. What is the best way to revert all those games back to using the general tab, while keeping some?

Hi,

0.78 was released way back in 2003, now nearly 20 years ago.

If you are looking for active support, you may want to consider a more recent and official MAME version, like the 0.245 version which was just released on the official website [1].

Having said that, for all custom configurations for a specific game you get a game specific *.cfg file in the cfg directory. So for example for pacman, you will get a 'cfg/pacman.cfg' file, which contains all the machine specific settings that you have made for pacman. Removing that file will undo all of the machine specific settings you have made for pacman, and revert them to the 'general' settings. Please note that this will revert all game/machine specific settings you may have made back to the defaults - like for example dip switch settings - and not just the input. In order to be able to undo things if they go wrong, you should make copies/backups of these files before you delete any of them so you can go back to the old situation if you should desire to do so.

[1]
I looked for the files but I’m not sure where they are located. Since it is on retroarch, I can seem to find where any of the mame directories are located.
mhoes

SparklePig78 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:41 pm I looked for the files but I’m not sure where they are located. Since it is on retroarch, I can seem to find where any of the mame directories are located.
Well, you are not likely to be getting much support here, because you are using RetroArch. I do not know the full details, but from what I understand it seems to amount to RetroArch making (much) money by taking the hard work unpaid volunteers put into the actual emulators that RetroArch 'supports', by willingly giving the impression that they actually contribute to instead of just taking from the (hard work unpaid volunteers put into) the emulators. If you want to keep using RetroArch, you might want to try the Retroarch forums instead. But I would really recommend using the official MAME [1] version on one of the supported platforms. The official current version is a far better product anyhow than the hacked-up-beyond-belief version that Retroarch has.

[1]
SparklePig78

mhoes wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:49 pm
SparklePig78 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:41 pm I looked for the files but I’m not sure where they are located. Since it is on retroarch, I can seem to find where any of the mame directories are located.
Well, you are not likely to be getting much support here, because you are using RetroArch. I do not know the full details, but from what I understand it seems to amount to RetroArch making (much) money by taking the hard work unpaid volunteers put into the actual emulators that RetroArch 'supports', by willingly giving the impression that they actually contribute to instead of just taking from the (hard work unpaid volunteers put into) the emulators. If you want to keep using RetroArch, you might want to try the Retroarch forums instead. But I would really recommend using the official MAME [1] version on one of the supported platforms. The official current version is a far better product anyhow than the hacked-up-beyond-belief version that Retroarch has.

[1]
Ok thank you for the reply.
mhoes

Well, I took a quick look at RetroArch, and it seems the cfg files for MAME are stored in the 'saves\mameversion\cfg' directory. So for example for (core\plugin) mame 2003 (0.78) and puckman, the config file containing the game specific settings is stored in :

Code: Select all

C:\RetroArch-Win64\saves\mame2003\cfg\puckman.cfg
The same rules apply: removing those files will undo all of the machine specific settings you have made for them, and revert them to the 'general' settings, and make backups/copies of the files before you remove them.

Return to “MAME Discussion”