Exley

superscaler for 0.139

hello... please bare with me :P
i tried to ask this on reddit but auto-bot is deleting my posts :(

so only today i found out that MAME supports superscalers (hqx3, supereagle etc....) :oops:
but i am very confused, i use MAME 0.139 for compatibility reasons and most old games work for it nicely
but i can't find anywhere WHEN did superscalers appeared, in which version ?
even if i see on random forums that this was enabled as far as back in 2010 when 0.139 was made...
i even downloaded MAME plus for 0.138 from year 2010 and it supports superscalers...

so my question would be
1. can 0.139 use superscalers (and how?)
2. if not, in which version did they appear ?
Tafoid

Re: superscaler for 0.139

Exley wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:44 pm hello... please bare with me :P
i tried to ask this on reddit but auto-bot is deleting my posts :(

so only today i found out that MAME supports superscalers (hqx3, supereagle etc....) :oops:
but i am very confused, i use MAME 0.139 for compatibility reasons and most old games work for it nicely
but i can't find anywhere WHEN did superscalers appeared, in which version ?
even if i see on random forums that this was enabled as far as back in 2010 when 0.139 was made...
i even downloaded MAME plus for 0.138 from year 2010 and it supports superscalers...

so my question would be
1. can 0.139 use superscalers (and how?)
2. if not, in which version did they appear ?

The shaders chains in question are part of the -video bgfx shader system. In MAME 0.139, -video bgfx wasn't even implemented so there is no way you can so this with that released version. According to this commit: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/ ... c42dda9545 the first MAME version which any of those BGFX shaders appear is 0.173. -video bgfx itself wasn't functional until 0.172 (at least for Windows)

Example
mame pacman -video bgfx -bgfx_screen_chains super-eagle

Sadly, you will not be able to use these unless you upgrade to a more current MAME or find a project which may have backported things. You are on your own.
Exley

Re: superscaler for 0.139

okay, thank you for info :)

Return to “MAME Discussion”