Heisanevilgenius

How to reconfigure "Test Mode"?

Hi, so I came across a weird issue with Snow Bros 2. This game has by default F2 set to Service Mode, which is normal. But pressing F1 also opens Service Mode. I notice in the DIP Switches menu in MAME it has a DIP switch labelled "Test Mode" that turns on when I press F1.

Problem is, I have F1 bound to Player 3 Start, so every time the third player tries to start a game, it resets the system and goes into Service Mode. I went through all of MAME's controls to see what is causing F1 to trigger this and have found absolutely nothing. How do I switch this? Is F1 just hardwired to that specific button no matter what?
I really don't want to remap the Player 3 button across the board because I'm using my MAME cab to emulate other systems too and F1 is used for other emulators.
Tafoid

Re: How to reconfigure "Test Mode"?

Heisanevilgenius wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:43 am Hi, so I came across a weird issue with Snow Bros 2. This game has by default F2 set to Service Mode, which is normal. But pressing F1 also opens Service Mode. I notice in the DIP Switches menu in MAME it has a DIP switch labelled "Test Mode" that turns on when I press F1.

Problem is, I have F1 bound to Player 3 Start, so every time the third player tries to start a game, it resets the system and goes into Service Mode. I went through all of MAME's controls to see what is causing F1 to trigger this and have found absolutely nothing. How do I switch this? Is F1 just hardwired to that specific button no matter what?
I really don't want to remap the Player 3 button across the board because I'm using my MAME cab to emulate other systems too and F1 is used for other emulators.

The F1 key, in this case, appears hardwired and unable to be changed short of adjusting the source and recompiling.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/ma ... ipt.h#L170

There is a define (line 178) in which you can change it from a "FAKE DIP" to an input. I assume if you make this change, and compile, you should be able to reconfigure the key to something else or NONE it if you wish not to use it at all.
Heisanevilgenius

Re: How to reconfigure "Test Mode"?

Tafoid wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:32 am
Heisanevilgenius wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:43 am Hi, so I came across a weird issue with Snow Bros 2. This game has by default F2 set to Service Mode, which is normal. But pressing F1 also opens Service Mode. I notice in the DIP Switches menu in MAME it has a DIP switch labelled "Test Mode" that turns on when I press F1.

The F1 key, in this case, appears hardwired and unable to be changed short of adjusting the source and recompiling.

https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/ma ... ipt.h#L170

There is a define (line 178) in which you can change it from a "FAKE DIP" to an input. I assume if you make this change, and compile, you should be able to reconfigure the key to something else or NONE it if you wish not to use it at all.
That's pretty frustrating. I don't understand why MAME would let you reconfigure all the keys including for the UI but still have keys like this that are unchangeable.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see what I can do to get around that.

Return to “MAME Discussion”