Parlue

CPU Speed of an emulation ROM

CPU Speed of an emulation ROM

Hi all, I use mame to run old chessprograms as an chessengine so we play on a real chessboard via bluetoth or USB and can play more den hundred of this oldies.

Normally with the CPU power of modern PC's or raspberry boards we can increase there playing strength, if we run the emus faster.

In the actual mame version I used -speed x.x or -nothrottle to run it on a maximum, but this has no effect of the strength. The reason is easy:
We increase speed of cpu an time if we do this... so the meulator runs faster like 500% but in the same time the thinking time reduce from 60seconds to 12.
In the end I have no effect.

Second, and than there is a bug... If I reduce the speed lower than 0.16 (speed parameter) mame falls back to fullspeed. In the docu the paramater can be between 0.01 - X.XX.
This bug have all versions.

How could separate the cpu speed from the time in the code? I'm looking for a way to increase a old 10Mhz CPU to 20 or 30 without to increase the complete emulator.
In the I will got a fullspeed running emulation with use the real time for thinking.

Any idea's?

P.
Tafoid

Re: CPU Speed of an emulation ROM

Parlue wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:46 am CPU Speed of an emulation ROM

Hi all, I use mame to run old chessprograms as an chessengine so we play on a real chessboard via bluetoth or USB and can play more den hundred of this oldies.

Normally with the CPU power of modern PC's or raspberry boards we can increase there playing strength, if we run the emus faster.

In the actual mame version I used -speed x.x or -nothrottle to run it on a maximum, but this has no effect of the strength. The reason is easy:
We increase speed of cpu an time if we do this... so the meulator runs faster like 500% but in the same time the thinking time reduce from 60seconds to 12.
In the end I have no effect.

Second, and than there is a bug... If I reduce the speed lower than 0.16 (speed parameter) mame falls back to fullspeed. In the docu the paramater can be between 0.01 - X.XX.
This bug have all versions.

How could separate the cpu speed from the time in the code? I'm looking for a way to increase a old 10Mhz CPU to 20 or 30 without to increase the complete emulator.
In the I will got a fullspeed running emulation with use the real time for thinking.

Any idea's?

P.

We are aware of the -speed command issues for very low speeds. It has been there since the command was added as I recall. The documentation needs to be fixed and or the command needs internal limiting as to not confuse.

It sounds like you want to CPU only to be adjusted (not sound/gameplay) and you can do that using the -CHEAT toggle or cheat plugin. Once active, you should get CPU sliders available to you for some variations. These changed values, however, are designed not to be saved in your config. Should you want more, you'll simply need to change/adjust the actual sources (per machine if desired) and compile your own custom binaries with your desired CPU speeds.

Adjusting things beyond normal is very DIY (do it yourself) as MAME focuses on the accuracy of original machines, not theoretical possibilities.

Return to “MAME Discussion”