tenpar

MAME 0.252 ctrlr problem

I used to create joypad.cfg in the ctrlr folder and specify joypad in ctrlr in mame.ini.
Since 0.252, it seems that joypad.cfg is not loaded even with this setting.
With 0.251, I have confirmed that joypad.cfg is loaded with this setting.
Tafoid

Re: MAME 0.252 ctrlr problem

tenpar wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:49 am I used to create joypad.cfg in the ctrlr folder and specify joypad in ctrlr in mame.ini.
Since 0.252, it seems that joypad.cfg is not loaded even with this setting.
With 0.251, I have confirmed that joypad.cfg is loaded with this setting.

As mentioned in the release announcement for 0.252 HERE: https://forum.mamedev.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=888
Game controller handling has also been overhauled. The downside is that you may need to reconfigure inputs for MAME. The upside is that things should work better out-of-the-box, with better default input assignments for more controllers

So, please give this a go - making a new file with MAME 0.252 for your controller and using that as the CTRLR file.
Sadly not all functions and files can be future proofed as the project evolves and matures.

If you continue to have issues, please provide much more detail as to what specific controller you have and are trying to use, what method of reading inputs you are using, Operating System/versions and so on. Also providing the.cfg file (pasted in chat if small enough) will help diagnosis.

Good luck,
Tafoid
tenpar

Thank you! Understood.
I put the joypad.cfg in the trash and also deleted the ctrlr value in mame.ini.
Then it worked as expected.

Goodbye, my joypad.cfg!
tenpar

I created a new cfg file, but without a definition for "default", I get an error when starting MAME.
(Fatal error: Could not load contoroller configuration file hoge.cfg)

<system name="default">
</system>.

This is not a big problem, but it bothered me a little, so I reported it.

Return to “MAME Discussion”