jmon

CHD ROM was working fine... Now, for no discernable reason, it does not?

I had a CHD-converted ROM working fine on my MAME .224 *STABLE* release, but then it just stopped working. :evil:

There has not been an upgrade past my Win 10 20H release... nor should there of been any updates since I froze their update service until Tuesday, the 22nd.

no, I don't know of any recent emergency security updates that Microsoft would shove down my throat since I installed original MAME installation.

:cry: After three hours of trying to figure out what's changed, I reinstalled MAME from scratch, EXCEPT preserving customized segacd.xml hash file I got from jmonlive (to include rom also given to me by my friend as part of his appended-to software list), customized cheat.7z, and cut'n'paste ROMS directory from old installation and added DAT directory's MAMEINFO.DAT from there as well.

Am I stupid? :evil:

Is the proper directory for Sega CD ROM the "segacd" subdirectory under MAMEUI's ROMs directory or was I just almost correct in syntax, but just slightly off? :roll: :cry:
Tafoid

Re: CHD ROM was working fine... Now, for no discernable reason, it does not?

jmon wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:24 pm I had a CHD-converted ROM working fine on my MAME .224 *STABLE* release, but then it just stopped working. :evil:

There has not been an upgrade past my Win 10 20H release... nor should there of been any updates since I froze their update service until Tuesday, the 22nd.

no, I don't know of any recent emergency security updates that Microsoft would shove down my throat since I installed original MAME installation.

:cry: After three hours of trying to figure out what's changed, I reinstalled MAME from scratch, EXCEPT preserving customized segacd.xml hash file I got from jmonlive (to include rom also given to me by my friend as part of his appended-to software list), customized cheat.7z, and cut'n'paste ROMS directory from old installation and added DAT directory's MAMEINFO.DAT from there as well.

Am I stupid? :evil:

Is the proper directory for Sega CD ROM the "segacd" subdirectory under MAMEUI's ROMs directory or was I just almost correct in syntax, but just slightly off? :roll: :cry:

Are you having issues with other games for SegaCD or just a particular one? Any machine you use, provided you don't change the binary, should function the same way each time. Given the fact that your are using a CHD that was made by you and isn't supported by MAME makes it quite hard to diagnose. Assuming your are running a SEGACD game in MAME and assuming C:\ROMS is your normal rompath, C:\ROMS\SEGACD would be the valid default location for software, with the CHD named as the software lists expects, as well as in a FOLDER matching the shortname, against referenced in the softwarelist.

The following example, you want to run the software list game from the segacd.xml, Sonic the Hedgehog CD (USA) which has the shortname soniccd. The CHD should be located in C:\ROMS\SEGACD\SONICCD\SONIC CD(USA).chd. It is important, too, that the actual filename matches what the softlist.xml expects or else it will not load at all or not be found.

A few versions back, loading of images was streamlined and fixed but this also fixed peoples' poor use of the loading mechanism as they never put the romset in a .zip of folder needed. Not sure if this is your case, but it did happen and you need to be fully compliant with your directory structures now.
jmon

As an update I blew away everything, and fresh installed MAME64/MAMEUI...and it seemed to disappear for awhile :D , then for NO DISCERNABLE REASON :o it decided to be a pain in the butt :cry: :evil: , and gave me something like image load errors WHEN IT DID FIND THE FILE...but also continued the anomalous Sega CD bios intro screen with yadda-yadda press reset to yadda-yadda...I press reset and go to music cd screen...AND LIKE I EXPECTED it doesn't allow for play program* cd option even! Also like before if I press eject option...it says yadda unsupported yadda-yadda AND loses its mind and goes back to my MAMEUI-panels screen! I now added the "soniccd" directory like you suggested and moved "sonic cd (usa).chd" to new directory (ad nauseum the torture continues :x :roll: :cry: ...NOTHING!
jmon

UPDATE I tried using just Mame's internal ui...seemed to be working...now -there's that fucking word again- for NO DECERNABLE REASON- it won't work.
jmon

Okay, I think the crazy stuff going on might be because I extracted the MAMEUI64 *within the root MAME64 hierarchy, because these programs don't augment one another; I was misled by inaccurate information somewhere that MAMEUI was a frontend, not a variant of MAME. Okay, so the world (outside of COVID) is not crazy after all! Thank God!
Stiletto

jmon wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:31 am Okay, I think the crazy stuff going on might be because I extracted the MAMEUI64 *within the root MAME64 hierarchy, because these programs don't augment one another; I was misled by inaccurate information somewhere that MAMEUI was a frontend, not a variant of MAME. Okay, so the world (outside of COVID) is not crazy after all! Thank God!
Yeah, MAMEUI is not an external frontend that calls MAME. It's MAME plus an old-style Windows UI grafted on.

(It would be rather nice if it was an external frontend - there's a weird Chinese frontend (closed source) called MxUI: https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/s ... ber=387976 that is -sorta- like that... tho we don't technically endorse it...)

Having and using both MAME and MAMEUI in the same directory may cause unforeseen consequences (which means, we really don't know what would happen!)

Even MAMEUI's long-time lead testing/support guy, John IV, has somewhat shifted over towards using stock MAME with an external frontend - his own, called IV/Play: http://www.mameui.info/

Glad you figured it out, we were kinda at a loss as to what could have been happening.
- Stiletto
Robert

(deleted)
Last edited by Robert on Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jmon

UPDATE! Same stuff with NegaMAME (VERY coupled to official variant-0.224.0-1) variant VIA* Negatron frontend*; I can only load it through "browser" hinting mechanism...not "list" (software-hash identification). I was hoping to use MAME's internal cheat engine...now I have to use external cheat engine...search for codes from scratch with my VAST game collection...
jmon

BTW: your own source misinformed me about frontend MAMEUI64's nature!
https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/frontends.html
Stiletto

jmon wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:31 am BTW: your own source misinformed me about frontend MAMEUI64's nature!
https://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/frontends.html
That page specifically mentions "IV/Play", which is an external frontend for MAME, also available on the mameui.info website? "IV/Play" does not have its own website or even web page. I'm not sure how we could have been more clear. Maybe if it is going to cause this confusion, we will remove the suggestion. But aside from the web address, that page from our docs.mamedev.org website does not mention MAMEUI in the body text at all.
- Stiletto

Return to “MAME Discussion”