Mgmanes

minimum requirement for MAME

hello, I'm new to the forum, I've used MAME a lot, but I haven't updated mine in a long time, I decided to update recently and I couldn't run the program, I think it's because of the modest settings on my PC.
Intel xeon 775
2 gb ram
No video card
160gb hd

or maybe it is because there are no framework or direct x add-ons?
mhoes

Re: minimum requirement for MAME

Mgmanes wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:28 am hello, I'm new to the forum, I've used MAME a lot, but I haven't updated mine in a long time, I decided to update recently and I couldn't run the program, I think it's because of the modest settings on my PC.
Intel xeon 775
2 gb ram
No video card
160gb hd

or maybe it is because there are no framework or direct x add-ons?
I don't have an answer, but in order for people to be able to help you, you need to be more specific about what "I couldn't run the program" exactly means. Did you get an error message ? (if so, what was the message ?). Did your computer crash ? Did MAME eat your homework ? People need details like that before they can help you.

Also, the OS and version you are running matters, so please name that too. For example, if you are still running Windows XP, then the answer is that that current MAME versions do not support XP anymore.

Of course, it could also be that your hardware is too outdated, I can't tell. Perhaps other people know.
Phreakwars

Re: minimum requirement for MAME

Mame will run on it. But as was mentioned, OS and mame version matter. Here's an example of mame running on Windows XP with an even slower Pentium 4 with 512 megs of ram and a horrible FX5200 graphics card. OS I used is Windows XP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXNeLkAr-o Now on your Xeon config, it will run Windows 10. Mame however, might not work well with current releases on that hardware. You'd probably want to use somewhere around say version .106 or so, I can't say for sure which latest version will work. If you are thinking you have an old board that you'd like to use to make your own arcade on the cheap, yes, what you have will work fine. Consider using Windows 7 though, or even XP if it's just for a cab. While those OS's are now history and XP is quite useless for today's internet, it still makes a good OS for doing an arcade..but the caveat again, is you will need an older version of mame more then likely. There are a few 32 bit XP ports of mame out there in the latest version, but in my experience with them... eh.. kinda glitchy.

Return to “MAME Discussion”