mamelicious

cruis'n USA / cruis'n World with keyboard

Hi

How can you play cruis'n USA (crusnusa.zip) / cruis'n World (crusnwld.zip) with keyboard so the car is controllable for driving?

In cruis'n USA I have the following problems using a keyboard (mame 0.231):

- selecting a race track by using the left and right arrow keys of your keyboard is not possible, since the different race tracks are not selected (when pressing left or right) but instead the race track at the bottom is always selected.

- when driving your car, pressing left or right arrow keys moves the car in that direction but after releasing the key, the car keeps driving 1 or 2 seconds still in that direction while the key has been released. This results in a uncontrollable car and racing is certainly not possible. So the game is unplayable with the keyboard, because the car doesn't respond properly to arrow key input.

In cruis'n World I have the same problem for controlling the car as in cruis'n USA

Do I need to do some settings in mame for those 2 specific games in order to play it with the keyboard?
I use MAME 0.231 downloaded from mamedev.org, I run windows 10 and my PC is fast enough (core i7, 16 GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1070 8GB).
Both games play at 100% emulation speed.

Thanks
Tafoid

Re: cruis'n USA / cruis'n World with keyboard

mamelicious wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:14 pm Hi

How can you play cruis'n USA (crusnusa.zip) / cruis'n World (crusnwld.zip) with keyboard so the car is controllable for driving?

In cruis'n USA I have the following problems using a keyboard (mame 0.231):

- selecting a race track by using the left and right arrow keys of your keyboard is not possible, since the different race tracks are not selected (when pressing left or right) but instead the race track at the bottom is always selected.

- when driving your car, pressing left or right arrow keys moves the car in that direction but after releasing the key, the car keeps driving 1 or 2 seconds still in that direction while the key has been released. This results in a uncontrollable car and racing is certainly not possible. So the game is unplayable with the keyboard, because the car doesn't respond properly to arrow key input.

In cruis'n World I have the same problem for controlling the car as in cruis'n USA

Do I need to do some settings in mame for those 2 specific games in order to play it with the keyboard?
I use MAME 0.231 downloaded from mamedev.org, I run windows 10 and my PC is fast enough (core i7, 16 GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1070 8GB).
Both games play at 100% emulation speed.

Thanks

Like I posted in the other issue you asked about with the graphics - the game is not fully playable. I'd assume you'd want an analog control (not keyboard) to properly play the game and select things (a mouse works) or you can adjust the analog control speeds in the TAB menu to better fit your attempt to play. Using MAME often requires hands-on tweaking for specific games.
mamelicious

So does this mean ALL race games in mame are not playable using a keyboard or just this one?
You need a driving wheel for correct input?

I tried changing in the TAB menu but it's still unplayable.
mhoes

I tried 'California Speed' in mame 0.231. It does work, but I found it almost impossible to steer the car with the keyboard (the mouse improves things slightly, but it's still not playable in a real sense). Perhaps a real steering wheel would improve things ? (Of course, it could also just be that I'm terrible at racing games).

'San Francisco Rush 2049' also works, but with similar results.
Last edited by mhoes on Sun May 09, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “MAME Discussion”