Starfiretbt

Need help updating mame

I want to update my mame emulator because some of the roms I have don't seem to work with the emulator I got. I think I currently use mame 0.227 2020-12-31 as that's whats on the "what's new" file. I use mame with the frontend Launchbox and the people there are telling me that I need to update my roms when I update my emulator, that somehow the roms are intrinsically connected to the emulator.
I don't want to have to re-download another rom pack, especially if the packs keep getting larger (I'm told they are a terabyte in size and mine is large enough). I also really don't want to have to download each rom I like individually if I can help it.
What do I need to do.
Also I have two folders for mame and I don't remember what the other folder is, one holds the emulator I use and the other looks similar but it's main application is called "MAMEUI64." The one I use has an icon that looks like a blue M and the other one looks like a gold arcade machine over a blue background. Did I just download two different emulators or do I need the second folder for some reason for the other emulator to work? It's been a long time so I don't remember why I have it.
Robert

Re: Need help updating mame

Get the latest MAME 0.254 from https://mamedev.org/release.html (this version will be there in a day or two). It has the blue M icon.

Your existing roms will be a 90-95% match. If they work with the particular games you want to play, then there's no need to update the ones you never use.

If you find you do need some roms, it won't be that many, and you'll be able to find them in many places (but we're not allowed to say where).

You won't need MAMEUI64 just now. (It does the same job as MAME but has a Windows-type menu instead of MAME's more text-based one).
Starfiretbt

Oh thank goodness, I was worried this was going to turn into a mess. Thank you for your help.

Just to be clear, I can delete the other mame application right?
Robert

Yes; you only need one. And make sure it's the latest version.

Return to “MAME Discussion”