thankyoumame

Changing default slot device for a machine or specific software ROM

Is it possible to automatically set the SNES machine to use "multitap" as the player 1 device and save the buttons? After changing it with the in-game menu for any game, it gets reset to joypad when I close the machine.
Tafoid

Re: Changing default slot device for a machine or specific software ROM

thankyoumame wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:39 pm Is it possible to automatically set the SNES machine to use "multitap" as the player 1 device and save the buttons? After changing it with the in-game menu for any game, it gets reset to joypad when I close the machine.
You want to use -writeconfig at command line... or edit mame.ini to writeconfig 1 before starting MAME/setting up. I would not suggest keeping it on longer than needed to write your desired configuration or else you may start to have issue where saved configurations can cause potential issues with running emulation. Sometimes if you forget you configured something, you'll never remember it if you want to undo it.
thankyoumame

I only kept it on to change that, but it did mess up with some random settings and caused crashes after leaving any SNES game. I've solved it by deleting mame.ui and snes.ini. Anyway, that helped me to find out that I just had to add ctrl1 multitap to snes.ini. I'll use a clean copy of MAME in a different directory the next time I need to use the command you taught me.

Unfortunately, even though most games I tested worked normally with the first controller connected to the multitap, at least one ROM identifies the multitap as a special device and tells me to unplug it, and likely so do others.

It isn't possible to apply a setting and controller config to a single machine software, right? If so, I'm going to use the default two-controller setup by default, and create a MAME shortcut that uses a separate multitap-enabled .ini for the the only ROM I'll actually use it with.
Tafoid

thankyoumame wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:18 pm I only kept it on to change that, but it did mess up with some random settings and caused crashes after leaving any SNES game. I've solved it by deleting mame.ui and snes.ini. Anyway, that helped me to find out that I just had to add ctrl1 multitap to snes.ini. I'll use a clean copy of MAME in a different directory the next time I need to use the command you taught me.

Unfortunately, even though most games I tested worked normally with the first controller connected to the multitap, at least one ROM identifies the multitap as a special device and tells me to unplug it, and likely so do others.

It isn't possible to apply a setting and controller config to a single machine software, right? If so, I'm going to use the default two-controller setup by default, and create a MAME shortcut that uses a separate multitap-enabled .ini for the the only ROM I'll actually use it with.
I am pretty sure softlists can use per-game assignments. An example of such is pcecd.xml - each CD can be loaded and the system card that drives the CD system is 'auto inserted' for you sharedfeat name="requirement" value="scdsys"/>... but such feature needs to be programmed into the driver in question. It isn't beyond reason to desire such a per/software game option but I'm not sure if it has been done yet. I know it has been often requested.
Tafoid

thankyoumame wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:18 pm I only kept it on to change that, but it did mess up with some random settings and caused crashes after leaving any SNES game. I've solved it by deleting mame.ui and snes.ini. Anyway, that helped me to find out that I just had to add ctrl1 multitap to snes.ini. I'll use a clean copy of MAME in a different directory the next time I need to use the command you taught me.

I am pretty sure softlists can use per-game assignments. An example of such is pcecd.xml - each CD can be loaded and the system card that drives the CD system is 'auto inserted' for you <sharedfeat name="requirement" value="scdsys"/>... but such feature needs to be programmed into the driver in question. It isn't beyond reason to desire such a per/software game option but I'm not sure if it has been done yet. I know it has been often requested.

Return to “MAME Discussion”