JulianScott

Mame Debugger Fill question (Sega Megadrive)

I'm using the Mame Debugger to communicate between a running program and my development tools.
I send strings to the debugger from the tools to alter parts of memory for 'realtime' update. This works well. I can FILL parts of RAM, and I can load in files to ROM areas.

However when I try to FILL rom areas, I can't get it to work. I think I'm missing something fundamental. (I can't get this to work from LUA scripting either).

when I FILL to eg $f000, which is ROM space, the command completes, but when I examine the memory there nothing has changed.

I've tried postfixing different memory spaces to the address, but I can't get any results.

Any ideas? Thank you!
mhoes

Re: Mame Debugger Fill question (Sega Megadrive)

JulianScott wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:32 am I'm using the Mame Debugger to communicate between a running program and my development tools.
I send strings to the debugger from the tools to alter parts of memory for 'realtime' update. This works well. I can FILL parts of RAM, and I can load in files to ROM areas.

However when I try to FILL rom areas, I can't get it to work. I think I'm missing something fundamental. (I can't get this to work from LUA scripting either).

when I FILL to eg $f000, which is ROM space, the command completes, but when I examine the memory there nothing has changed.

I've tried postfixing different memory spaces to the address, but I can't get any results.

Any ideas? Thank you!
Although it wouldn't surprise me at all if it would be so that you simply cannot overwrite 'Read Only Memory' (ROM), you might get better responses over here :

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/p ... d=mamechat
JulianScott

Re: Mame Debugger Fill question (Sega Megadrive)

Thanks.
Yes it looks like you can't overwrite ROM, which for a real cartridge or hardware I'd expect, but not in an emulator ;)
It's odd because I can happily load a file in to any area of ROM without issue.

mhoes wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:05 pm
JulianScott wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:32 am I'm using the Mame Debugger to communicate between a running program and my development tools.

Any ideas? Thank you!
Although it wouldn't surprise me at all if it would be so that you simply cannot overwrite 'Read Only Memory' (ROM), you might get better responses over here :

https://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/p ... d=mamechat

Return to “MAME Discussion”