ramiroflores

MAME crashes with install from MAMEDev file, but not Retroarch

Hi. I recently started looking at MAME again (last time was version 0.139). I downloaded the file from the MAMEDev website and installed it. When I try to run the program, the screen goes black and my computer freezes. I have to unplug my computer and then plug it back in again to get the computer to work again. I tried the same with the MAMEUI file and the same thing happened. Oddly, I installed Retroarch and got MAME to work, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do artwork for MAME on Retroarch. I'm wondering what is causing the MAME program to crash. I tried to start MAME using the command line, but I really don't know what I'm doing. I was wondering if someone might point me in the right direction for this issue or getting artwork for MAME on Retroarch? I have a Windows 11 computer with a RTX2060 graphics card. Thanks.
Tafoid

Re: MAME crashes with install from MAMEDev file, but not Retroarch

ramiroflores wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:38 am Hi. I recently started looking at MAME again (last time was version 0.139). I downloaded the file from the MAMEDev website and installed it. When I try to run the program, the screen goes black and my computer freezes. I have to unplug my computer and then plug it back in again to get the computer to work again. I tried the same with the MAMEUI file and the same thing happened. Oddly, I installed Retroarch and got MAME to work, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do artwork for MAME on Retroarch. I'm wondering what is causing the MAME program to crash. I tried to start MAME using the command line, but I really don't know what I'm doing. I was wondering if someone might point me in the right direction for this issue or getting artwork for MAME on Retroarch? I have a Windows 11 computer with a RTX2060 graphics card. Thanks.

This appears to be the same question (same poster?) from Reddit?
https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/ ... _file_but/

First off, for Retroarch artwork issues will have to brought up with them as we don't support their MAME builds/cores.

I'd suggest following up on the attempt to run via command window and starting MAME with another video mode. Video defaults to d3d (Direct-X 9c). If you computer doesn't have the runtime installed manually this could cause problems especially on newer operating systems where DX9 is not normally supported or backwards compatible.

1) Open the folder with File Explorer which contains your MAME install - wherever your MAME.exe is located.
2) When you've navigated there, highlight the drive location bar contents at the top of the navigation window and then type "cmd". Hit Enter. This should bring up a command prompt window with the MAME folder as the location listed.
3) As per the reddit post, try the following:

** mame -video gdi -sound none

After a short few seconds initial set up, the internal MAME UI should show.

4) Adjust the SYSTEM SETTINGS > VIDEO OPTIONS > Video Mode from "auto" to GDI since you know that works.
5) Save your adjusted config as a fresh MAME.ini. Simply hit ESC once and use the option SAVE SYSTEM SETTINGS. This should retain the GDI change.
6) Exit MAME and attempt to start as normal.
7) Revisit the video options as GDI is basically the fall back and slowest of all the modes available. I'd suggest OPENGL if D3D is not an option.

Hope you can figure it out.

Return to “MAME Discussion”